main traveler setup for E25 (1976)

Krharm

I just bought this beauty and as I am going thru all that could possibly be right with it, I still have no idea what the main traveler looks like. My mast is on the pulpits for transport and as I am sizing up the situation, there is nothing on the main traveler as far as a "car" goes. There is a snatchblock from the boom that I am assuming should connect to something somewhere on this main, but I don't see anything at all. Does anyone have a photo of their main traveler setup from a boat of that era? Anything you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
kevin

planet9eleven

traveller

Hi Kevin. I will try to shoot you some photos in the a.m. just left our boat otherwise I would send them now. I see you are form SD where are you located. My parents live in SF and I spent most of my childhood in Rapid City. I have two e 25s a 75 and a 76. I have purchased both of them within the last year and have one of them in the water at Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City. This is my first Ericson but so far am impressed and enjoying the boat. One of the boats I have will be parted out as it sustained signifigant hull damage do t low lake levels last year and not being suspensded correctly. I might have a extra main traveller section. I definitely have a extra boom mast etc...... We have spent a dozen nights on the e25 so far this spring and it is a great boat!

Thanks
Cory

Krharm

E25 main traveler

Hey Cory,I was originally from Yankton, but moved 106 miles south of Lewis & Clark Lake so I could burn more gas to make up for what I was Saving by sail power... I know, makes no sense!!! I live in Columbus, Nebraska now. Any pix u have would really be appreciated as I'm a hobie 16er for 32 years and this is new stuff... I bought the boat thru a broker in Kearney, Nebraska in march and am just getting into "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of it all. Thanks for any help!Kevin

Wysailer

Member II
Traveler Setup Pics

Hi,

Check these pics out of my 73 25cb. Should help you see what the setup looks like.
The portion on the bottom would be facing towards the cockpit.

Enjoy your new ride!

Scott
E25 CB

Attachments

• CIMG1787.JPG
    CIMG1787.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 276

VolvoEricson

216873_1078365637809_1186309372_239617_9933_n.jpg
5731_1209881085613_4348124_n.jpg

Last edited:

Krharm

e25

Thanks for the pics,
Volvo what is the setup you have? I have a rail for the main traveler car to ride, but nothing to attach the main block to... no pulley or traveler system on the edges. Do I go to a machine shop to have one fabricated or buy a Harken system (which it looks like you have added?)
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for the pics,
Volvo what is the setup you have? I have a rail for the main traveler car to ride, but nothing to attach the main block to... no pulley or traveler system on the edges. Do I go to a machine shop to have one fabricated or buy a Harken system (which it looks like you have added?)
Thanks in advance
Kevin

I like the factory Harken traveler system on my '88, but if replacing it from scratch and on a restricted budget I probably would go with a Garhauer. Solid engineering, albeit heavier, and much less money. Either way, you'll love the ball bearing smoothness -- sailing the boat is really fun when this stuff works easily.

Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I have a rail for the main traveler car to ride, but nothing to attach the main block to... no pulley or traveler system on the edges. Do I go to a machine shop to have one fabricated or buy a Harken system...

Kevin - If you have a track in place you will have to get the car from the same company. There is no standardization of track shapes. The alternative is to replace the track, also.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Sorry to partially hijack the thread, but as long as we're on the topic, I wonder if anyone can identify my traveler? The whole mainsheet system is on the replacement list, but it sort of works for now. ish. And it's not critical for refloating the boat. Anyway, this car jams easily and is pretty trashed. (Although I discovered that the worst of the jamming is because there is no clearance between the car and some of the other hardware screwed to the stern.)
traveler.jpg

Like yours, krharm, there are no blocks on the end of the track because the control lines go to blocks mounted on the coaming (obviously mine differs a bit because it's aft-sheeted) then turn toward jam cleats mounted in the middle of the cockpit. It wouldn't be a bad system if it didn't jam.
traveler control.jpg

Glyn Judson

Traveler replacent thoughts.

All, When standardizing my deck hardware including both my main and staysail traveler, I had to choose a brand that would allow me to purchase their blocks, deck organizers and winches. As it turned out, I retained the Original equipment Barlow winches at the last minute but over time, replaced almost every last piece with the same brand because the mismatched stuff that came with the boat made me crazy. Do give thought to that if it's important enough to have it all the same on your boat as well. In my case, I opted for Harken hardware because my other priority was to make the boat easy to handle when my wife chose to single hand. This meant fitting a Harken Windward Sheeting System to the main sheeting and Harken Bat cars to the mast and sail along with all the rest of the low friction blocks and deck organizers. I even changed the main sheet sheave at the top of the mast to make everything as slick to operate as possible using a Harken Hi-load sheave that won't develop flat spots, etc. Hope this helps when assessing your needs. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I wonder if anyone can identify my traveler?

Toddster - Is there a reward? :) How much?

It's a Nicro-Fico traveler. Googling them got me to Rig-Rite who can be a problem, I understand. They do have info for identifying what you have.

http://www.rigrite.com/Travellers/NF_Travellers/NFtraveler.html

Someone on one of the posts mentioned that Ronstan tracks were compatible. I would call them if I was considering buying parts because there stuff is more modern, and you wouldn't have to go through Rig-Rite.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks Tom. That is indeed the beast, although now I can see that someone has screwed the wrong control blocks onto it, then added that piece of galvanized channel because the shackle was thereby blocked.
I see some Ronstan tracks listed as being identical to the N-F but don't see the X-track ones listed.

It's beginning to look like yet another situation where buying a whole new system wouldn't cost any more than trying to buy parts for the old one.

edit: I also see that it says the system functions with "partial strength" with loads up to 20° off vertical. Which I suppose, might be the point at which it's been jamming :unsure:

Last edited:

Krharm

E25 main

Ok team ericson,Thanks for all the help... It appears as tho it was broken and never replaced or the PO just locked it to the middle of the bar and let out main (as near as I can figure) keep those cards and letters comin, (keeps me thinking it will float, just not sail effectively in the near term) ;)More later and thanks for all the suggestions...K

ssplushy

Main Traveler Setup for E27

Hi Scott (Wysailer), your photo contains exactly what I need!
TravelerRiggingNeededCIMG1787.jpg
Anyone: What is this called and what company carries it?

I have a Harken traveler and have attached photos.
Boom & Traveler: Chrysoprase 003c.jpgChrysoprase 003b.jpg

Traveler: Chrysoprase 007b.jpg Chrysoprase 008b.jpg

Thank you!
Mike

Hi,

Check these pics out of my 73 25cb. Should help you see what the setup looks like.
The portion on the bottom would be facing towards the cockpit.

Enjoy your new ride!

Scott
E25 CB

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The first picture contains a collection of Seaway blocks. I believe that they are long out of business. Nowadays you might want to go with Harken unless on a tight budget and then use Garhauer.
(IMHO, and YMMV)

LB

ssplushy

Thanks for your quick reply LB!

Is there a special term for the bottom block connecting to the traveler? (e.g., 4:1 Swiveling Traveler Block?)

The first picture contains a collection of Seaway blocks. I believe that they are long out of business. Nowadays you might want to go with Harken unless on a tight budget and then use Garhauer.
(IMHO, and YMMV)

LB

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Ssplushy,

I believe that would be a fiddle block with cam & becket. Measure the diameter of your line and that will give you an idea of what size you need.

Companies who make them are Harken (buy direct or from Defender or WM, etc.), Garheuer (buy direct, usually cheapest), Ronstan, Schaeffer or Lewmar. Most all of these you can get at WM or Defender. Just Google them. Not much limit to what you can spend.