Main Halyard raising- last 3 ft

Rick Routh

Over the last six times going out for day sails the main sheet jhauling has become tougher and now impossible to raise the last 3 feet to top of mast and full sail. Might the old cars be the culprit? Would experienced Ericson sailors send up a mast monkey for a survey?
Perplexed Rick

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It helps to know the age and model and age of the boat. And, the last time the masthead sheaves (and axel pins) were inspected/overhauled/replaced. The slugs can get sticky also, but they can be coated with "MacLube" or similar before hoisting. If the halyard is led aft, suspect the turning block at the base of the spar, too.
Details will hep us help you.
Finally -- do put your sailing area, boat model, and auxiliary engine in your sig line.

Last edited:

Rick Routh

This is 1988 E30. A black mast, so perhaps a replacement at some point? We’ve only owned it 3 yrs. There’s no mntce history. I will look for MacLube. Gracias
San Carlos E30

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
This is 1988 E30. A black mast, so perhaps a replacement at some point? We’ve only owned it 3 yrs. There’s no mntce history. I will look for MacLube. Gracias
San Carlos E30
Hi Rick,
I believe black was the standard Ericson mast color, though ours is white. Is it possible you mean the main 'halyard' rather than 'sheet'? If so, a change in thread title may help you get responses. I'm a little confused by your reference to cars. Loren's suggestions are the first things I'd look at. How old is the line? It may be frayed.
Good luck!
Jeff

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's impossible to raise the mainsail all the way, it's probably a stuck slug. There may be a joint in the track that has lost its fastener and risen up. Or I guess it might be all of the slugs, progressively binding.

The last few feet of a mainsail hoist are always the hardest, requiring winching. It could be the sheave, but suspect the slugs first.

The sail track on old boats often becomes a problem, and the most popular solution is a sail track upgrade, perhaps the Tides system. I put one on both my Ericsons. I raise hand-over-hand at the mast base, but even with Tides the last feet require a winch.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The 30+ came with a black Kenyon mast as standard. Does the halyard travel freely without the sail attached? I too have to winch the sail up the last few feet and I have a Tides Marine track which is supposed to make it easy. I think there was a post on here many years ago that discussed how one could run a rag soaked in MacLube up the mast track to clean it out and lubricate it. I would also inspect the sail slugs closely to see if any are worn or grooved and could be catching somewhere. I had to replace several of the worn slugs on my E27 for this exact reason.

Sam Vickery

Member III
Hello Rick,
I experienced the same difficulty on my 1986 32-3. I released the tension on the main sheet during the last 3 feet of hoist. This allowed the boom to raise a little and it did the trick of me. I also use MacLube and that helps as well. Good luck.

Sam
1986 32-3
Universal M25
Dana Point, Ca.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Might you mean that you released vang tension? The mainsheet is usually already relieved when hoisting, so the sail can luff--

Sam Vickery

Member III
Might you mean that you released vang tension? The mainsheet is usually already relieved when hoisting, so the sail can luff--
No. I mean the main sheet. I will check the vang tension the next time I am out (tomorrow). That may do away with the need to "ease" the main sheet the next time.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sam, don't you always entirely slack off the mainsheet when raising the mainsail? That is the first requirement, so the boom and sail are free to align with the wind during the hoist.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sam, don't you always entirely slack off the mainsheet when raising the mainsail? That is the first requirement, so the boom and sail are free to align with the wind during the hoist.
Good point. Captain 'Occam' would slack both the sheet and vang, first. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ConchyDug

Member III
Yeah ease the mainsheet, vang, and crack the out haul. Like CW said check the slugs and track, the reverse can happen as well, hardware can loosen when the main sail is it up and it won't come down, Loctite the hardware with the low adhesion stuff. If you don't wanna pay boat prices Dupont makes a Teflon based dry lube that's the same as Mclube Sailkote for much cheaper, it's also available at your local Ace or Lowe's.