M25 Service and Parts Manuals

PkandLisa

I am having some engine issues and would like to buy the Service Manual (and Parts manual?). I found two sources online and one says the service manual has a "photocopy quality, with some broken lines, etc." I have a couple of questions on this:

1) if you've found a good quality service manual, can you please point me in the right direction to buy one?
2) what's the parts manual versus the service manual and do I really need both to do work on the engine?

As for the engine issues (for those of you interested) - I overheated last fall (I have learned my lesson and will check the coolant levels every trip and my hoses periodically:eek: ). Now my engine doesn't start like it did before...a puff of smoke comes out with the startup and the last time I started it had a tough time getting going, revving up and down and konking out a few times. The problem went away when the engine warmed up. I've spoken with someone at Boat US and he suspects I've worn the piston and/or cylinder and oil is slipping through (causing the smoke) and air is slipping through (causing the revving) until the engine warms up. I am a do it yourselfer (otherwise my mistakes like this overheating would cost me way too much!) and he believes I could do a 'valve job' myself.

So my questions regarding the problem are:

3) does this diagnosis sound right?
4) is this work reasonably straightforward and what should I lookout for?

Thank you,
Parker

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Manuals?

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/

Here is the URL for a large 'net Universal dealer. I purchased both manuals over the counter from a local dealer.
I find that I do refer to both, for maint. jobs.
I hope that you can find a good mechanic to diagnose your other problems.

Best,
Loren

escapade

Inactive Member
manuals

You can also get the manuals from www.marinepartssource.com.
I have a set for my M25XP from them. They are "new", not photocopies. Have a lot of pertinent info, such as torque values, clearances, timing procedures, etc. Well worth the price if you do your own work.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

PkandLisa

Thank you - I bought the service manual from marinedieseldirect.com - they had the parts manual online and I saved the web pages to my computer.

Parker