M20 Pencil Zincs?

jthistle

Member II
I've looked in the operations manual, shop manual and online. I can't find where pencil zincs might go in my Perkins Perama - M20. As some of you may know - I bought the boat from an estate and continue to unravel the mysteries - with your gracious help!:egrin:

Any info on the zincs?

thanks
jt

u079721

Contributing Partner
Heat exchanger?

I'm more familar with the M40 than the M20, but in case nobody with an M20 sees your question.....I would look on the bottom surface of the heat exchanger. There should be a hex head bolt protruding on one end, and that will usually be the engine zinc.

Just a hint when you replace it - some times the replacements are too long for your particular application. I had to cut about a half inch off the ones I bought at West Marine to get them to fit. So if you feel resistance when you mount the new one do not try and force it!

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Oops, and yes, it includes the pencil sized zinc. I have an extra one on hand just in case I drop it. Retreiving anything under the motor is not fun.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Another point....

We probably should have mentioned the obvious here.....but you have to close your raw water intake BEFORE removing that nut which holds the zinc. Otherwise you will likely get a quick lesson in how well your bilge pump works.

jthistle

Member II
I'll find it!

Thanks for the help. I'll let y'all know if I can find the elusive zinc when I visit the boat.

cheers
jt