M-40 heat exchanger cleaning

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Has anyone tried sending their raw water heat exchanger to a radiator shop to have it cleaned? I know its made of copper so I would guess a radiator repair shop could do a good job of cleaning just did not know if anyone ever tried...

Thanks

mark reed

Member III
A reputable radiator shop should be able to clean it. I took my heat exchanger to a radiator shop for cleaning, and to repair a few leaking tubes. Unfortunately, the tubes had deteriorated to the point where they needed replacing, so there was no point in cleaning the heat exchanger. I replaced the whole unit.

Which leads to a question, Ted. Does your boat have a 2" or a 3" diameter heat exchanger? If you have a 2" model and you end up needing to replace it, you may want to change to a 3". You can find a lot of info on this site about heat exchangers and overheating problems in general.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Took it apart last night. Except for the zinc being completely gone it was in pretty good shape. Not too corroded. I cleaned it myself. Its 3". Will order new xinc and seals and call it a day. Thanks,.