M-25 Remote Oil Filter Mount Options?

Dan R.

Does anyone have experience with installing a remote oil filter mount for the M-25 (5421)? Considering the placement, it's nearly impossible to spin off without losing oil. Every time I replace the oil filter, I end up with black gold all over the side of the engine and dripping into the bilge.

I found an option from Westerbeke, part number 40078, but it's $300+ from various online sources. Has anyone found an alternative for less?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Filter location change...

Friend of mine owned an E-33 with a Universal M25, for over 20 years, and had long ago converted to a remote filter.
I sent your question over and his reply follows:

" The system I installed on the E-33 was from Amsoil

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...rsal-dual-remote-bypass-system/?code=BMK23-EA

Amsoil doesn't list a single remote full flow filter system. Shouldn't be too difficult to find (google). Basically, the essential item you need is an adapter to replace the spin on filter (has in & out ports for the plumbing to/from the remote filter - inlcuded with the Amsoil kit). "

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Sloppy oil filter change

I cursed the horizontal filter for the last 12 years.....

This year I did a google search to see if there was an easier way to get to the secondary fuel filter and it got me to a youtube video where the guy was showing how to change the oil filter.....

After a bit of comedy, he put a pint yogurt cup under the filter....punched a hole in the bottom of the filter....then the top....all of the oil ran into the cup.....no mess!

I tried it just a few weeks ago.....worked like a charm....just loosened the filter....punched the holes...let the oil drain until it stopped dripping.....wrapped a paper towel between the block and the filter and nary a drop spilled as I spun the filter off and let it drop into the cup.....made disposal easy also....

Lot cheaper and less work than installing a remote.