LP paint

Lew Decker

Member III
I feel like an idiot for asking this but I need to know whether anyone out there has ever tried to remove LP paint from gelcoat. The PO of a 39B I want to buy painted the sheer stripe with LP and changed the color, but in the interest of originality I would like to return to the factory gelcoat, regardless of its condition. Am I coo-coo? Any thoughts?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Coo Coo??

Well, they would have sanded the old surface to get the paint to stick... and as a result there may not be enough thickness of gel coat left to buff out to a shine. Also, there may be repairs under that paint that would have no original gel coat color, in any case. You might be better off to look into repainting with a "correct" color to get the look you want.

The last time I removed paint from a gel coated surface, it was the acryilic painted-on name on our boat. I used acetone and then buffed it out. Took quite a long while to remove a LOT less than the 39 feet of stripe (times 2!) that you appear to be contemplating.

Good luck on your project, whatever you decide.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have used Easy-Off oven cleaner (i.e. lye) to clean off a boat name (which worked quite well), but I am sure that was not LP.

Lew Decker

Member III
LP on gelcoat

Thanks for the replies - I agree - In the end I probably would not be happy with the paint removal and have to repaint anyway - That brings up another question, though - My brother-in-law tried to remove the old name from his Catalina 30, but in certain light you can still make out the lettering - Its almost as if the gelcoat was raised slightly where the lettering was originally, and no amount of buffing and polishing seemed to work - Anyone else notice this? I even see it on the transom of the 39B where the PO moved the name down a little - Any thoughts on how to clean it up?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Raised letters?

This is the down side to changing a name on a gel coated hull. What I understand is that UV degradation/oxidation over the years removes layers of molocules from the plastic surface. So every time we buff and wax, it gets a few microns thinner...
Except... under the painted name where the "sun don't shine". :)

I noticed this on my boat. Under the right lighting you can still see the original name and hailing port, very very faintly. True of all the other boats around me, as well.
:rolleyes:

In time, and with buffing, the "shadow effect" of the slightly-higher gel coat under the old name will be less obvious.

Just live with it, I guess. Or, if you can afford it, have the hull painted with LPU...

:eek: ($$$)

Best,
Loren in PDX

escapade

Inactive Member
Lew;
Another way to remove the "shadow effect" is with automotive wet/dry sand paper. Start out w/320 or 400 grit, then 600, then 800, then 1000, then buff it to a shine. BE VERY CAREFUL THOUGH, as it's easy to get carried away! Use a rubber sanding block & lots of water and sand over the old letters carefully & LIGHTLY with the courser grits, then go progressively to the finer grits. Remember, any scratches you can see when it's wet will only look worse when you polish it out! You will be removing gel coat high spots to get rid of the shadow so the trick is to remove as little of the adjacent material as possible. Thats why you need the rubber sanding block. It will help to follow the curves and yet put the maximum material removal on the high spots. The water keeps the sand paper from "loading up" with gel coat and also gives you a good idea of the look when shiney. Take your time and you will be rewarded with a fine looking job.
Good luck & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"