Lousy Rain in the Pacific NW

Mort Fligelman

Member III
TV Has been showing all of the flooding in Washington and Oregon....

Hope all of the Vikings out there are not victims.........

How about Loren and Sean checking in.....

Sincere good wishes

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rain!

Hi Mort!
Lots of record-setting rain early this week. That's saying something for Oregon! :)
Quite a few flooded vehicles around Portland, some even where they were parked in the NW part of the downtown business district -- some very surprised workers when they emerged from their cubicles in the afternoon! :mad:

The sky turned partly sunny today and I got out for a walk with the retired sailor gang (aka "geezer club") and after about a mile we found the usual trail covered with moving water. The nearby creek has become a river, as it were.

Only downside was that the daytime temps have been in the high 50's and our initial winter snowpack in the mountains is vanishing just as it was getting started. (Gotta have that snowpack so we can have water next summer.)

Still, there is time for the winter weather to bring a lot more cold rain in PDX and snow in the Cascades.

I went down to our boat and evacuated about a half gallon of water from the bilge -- all from the last 24 hours of rain making its way down the inside of the mast. The turkey baster is the technical weapon of choice for this duty. :nerd:

How's the snow in the mid West?? Is your boat in the yard or inside a building?

Regards,
Loren

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Lousy rain

What's there to complain about? In Port Angeles, we are only at about 2 1/2 times the normal rainfall. We are used to much less rain in the rain shadow up here. We normally get the annual rainfall of San Francisco. So far the boat hasn't sank due to excess water in the bilge or the house float down the hill due to excess flow. However, the winds have been a bit viscous. The Christmas ornaments are still clinging to the rigging (however, the planned Christmas parade will probably be delayed due to excessive weather). The house hasn't been quite as lucky due to 20' plus limb strikes on the roof. Scared the wife to death. There have been some real gusts! Glad I wasn't in the Straights!

Stay cool!

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
We like rain here in Coos Bay... it makes it feel like Christmas :)
Too dry... too wet.. it all feels like refreshing change to me, although our local coast guard dolphin helicopter picked up a solo sailor who decided to abandon his boat on his way to Hawaii three days ago. So maybe he didn't like how much rain he was getting... too wet I guess.
Who sails from Astoria for Hawaii in December anyway? and on the worst stormy week of the year to boot?

http://kcby.com/news/local/north-bend-coast-guard-rescues-sailor-in-stormy-conditions-12-08-2015

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've got an email from the marina saying that unusual quantities of driftwood are floating into the moorage and I need to get down there for a check, as soon as I can get away from the desk. I'm having trouble picturing this, since neither the wind or the current should push stuff toward the marina entrance... :confused:

Bilge pump float switch appears to be gummed up. I suppose I'll spend some quality time down in there on Saturday... :esad:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've got an email from the marina saying that unusual quantities of driftwood are floating into the moorage and I need to get down there for a check, as soon as I can get away from the desk. I'm having trouble picturing this, since neither the wind or the current should push stuff toward the marina entrance... :confused:

Bilge pump float switch appears to be gummed up. I suppose I'll spend some quality time down in there on Saturday... :esad:

Which marina? We are also accumulating driftwood on the upstream end of our moorage. High water really cleans off the beaches upstream.

Loren

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

It might be worth considering going with one of these: https://www.waterwitchinc.com/new/SiteElements/Pages/SecondaryPages/Products/BilgeSwitches.html

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Which marina? We are also accumulating driftwood on the upstream end of our moorage. High water really cleans off the beaches upstream.

Loren

Hood River. By the time I got there, I didn't see anything unusual. Bonneville has been keeping the pool level near minimum ever since summer. I've started getting used to seeing all those sandbars. Looks like they've finally started holding back some water. Probably trying to keep Portland's feet dry.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Pretty cool. But I bet I can clean up the float switch for free...
No doubt. But with one of these you won't have to worry about it getting gummed up in the future. They seem to be highly reliable. I replaced a working float switch with one because I just don't trust the mechanical kind. Based on the reports I've seen on SBO, the typical Rule switches are quite failure prone.

Last edited:

p.gazibara

Member III
Wintery PNW weather - leaky mast

I got a chance to experience the rain first hand. My lady and I took off on a trip from Seattle to Vancouver through the gulf islands for NYE. We really saw it all - rain, sun, frost, 6-8' seas, perfectly flat waters, whales, howling winds, no winds.

Considering the yanmar decided to eat some water on day one, it sure made for an interesting 14 day sailing trip. At least now I am comfortable enough sailing the boat on and off the docks in tight marinas. I am blown away that this 35' Ericson is more maneuverable than my old 28' Newport.

On another note, if anyone knows of someone offloading a yanmar, drop me a line, getting towed back through the locks is less than ideal.

-P

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lousy Rain in Los Angeles

I tried to go out and my hat got wet. So I came back in and heeded the mayor's advice not to take unnecessary chances.

The streets are wet, too. Cops are wiping them with rags, but can;t keep up.

But we have plenty of food and if need be, we can drink the pool.

Pray for us.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
(laughing)

Portland got pummeled last week. Hope everyone is okay...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 922818_10154351644260639_1795640023774968240_n.jpg
    922818_10154351644260639_1795640023774968240_n.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 80

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Hope for RAIN

When the admiral and I flew to SF in August we couldn't help but notice the retracted lakes, ponds and overall squelching dryness of the region. I've realized in my short years that when there is a drought, their most certainly be a drenching. Here in Florida it comes in the cloak of a tropical storm or hurricane.

It appears as though the pendulum is swinging back the other way and the dry west is getting a water break.

Enjoy the the rain and pray for MORE! :0