Loose boom connection to gooseneck casting

Charlie B.

Member II
I have an Olson 34 with a Kenyon boom. The boom fits over an aluminum casting that forms the gooseneck. The casting plugs into the boom about 3” and is held in place with 4 evenly spaced s/s screws around the perimeter edge of the boom. Apparently there is enough play in this connection to cause the boom to rock back and forth until the screws pull through the aluminum.

Has anyone encountered this problem and found a way to fix it? I have been thinking of putting in some epoxy to minimize the rocking but don’t like the idea of making it permenant. :(

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I had the same problem with my 30+ Tapped in more SS machine screws around the perimeter. Use Lanocote to avoid galling. Has lasted 7 yrs.

Guy Stevens

Extra screws should do the job

But if it is really loose, you can wax one side, say the boom side, and appy some thickened epoxy, it will make a fitted spaces around the instert, and come out easily later due to the wax.

I like Tef Gel a little better than lanacote, but the same advice applies.

Do you have a rigid vang? I find the biggest issues like you describe with rigid vang users, and generally fit another set of screws every time I fit a vang.

Guy
:)

rgoff

Member III
I had a similar problem on my 1973 E27. However, on mine the screws eventually elongated 2 of the 3 holes to "slots". The boom pulled out of the fitting and was hanging by the one remaining screw.

I ended up cutting off 3/4" of the boom and drilling new holes. I don't think I'll live long enough for the problem to occur again. :)

Charlie B.

Member II
Thanks for the advice. I think I will combine all the suggestions, trim off some of the boom, add more screws, epoxy it to make a tighter fit and hope for the best. And yes I do have a rigid vang.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We had a break in the weather today so I took the digi cam out to the boat.
Our boat (hull #8) appears to have a different way of attachment. I know that I had all this stuff apart about 9 years ago, but the details fade with time and the loss of grey cells... :)
The two bolts go clear through. The bolt closest to the visible part of the gooseneck casting does go through the casting, but I cannot recall whether the other bolt goes throught the casting (and if the casting goes inside the end of the boom that far).
I do recall that the second bolt holds one end of the tackle for the multiple part outhaul, or at least that's my recollection now.:rolleyes:

For reference, our end-boom Kenyon casting with the triple sheaves is indeed held in place by several SS screws that are firmly trapped by electrolysis. :boohoo:

Here's a look our gooseneck.
Best,
Loren
Olson 34 #8

Attachments

• gooseneckCloseupPort.jpg
    gooseneckCloseupPort.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 232
  • GooseneckStarbdside.jpg
    GooseneckStarbdside.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 214

escapade

Inactive Member
goose necks, duck feat, etc.

:) While putting our boom away for the winter today I checked to see how the attachment points are arranged. Our '88 E34 has the same casting/weldment as Loren's (Kenyon). The bolt closest to the front only holds the goose neck in place. Ours has 2 1/4-20 round head screws in place of the 3/8 thru bolts on Loren's, though. The back bolt is the attachmnet point for the outhaul as he stated. The loads on this area are mostly compression so as long as everything will snug up it should be OK. Hope this helps you out.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"