Looking for a Standard Horizon Masthead Transducer from a WS150

tyrguy

Member II
I am need of a masthead transducer for a Standard Horizon WS150 wind speed gauge ours has succumbed to life in the saltwater air and has stopped spinning. Found a complete kit on Ebay brand new but don't really want to spend $500 just to get a new transducer. Talk SH and they were very helpful but the item has been discontinued for too long.

juneausailin

Member II
I think I have one

Hi, I recently purchased an 84 Ericson 38 and it came with the standard/combi instruments of the time which I'm replacing... I will be back on the boat the first of July and will pull the wind indicator/knot meter and verify the model... that's what you're looking for right?

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Mastthead transducer

Hi. We have an E38 but with a Simrad IS12 wind instrument. While the direction indicator still works, the speed indicator does not. I am certain that the problem is with the transducer. As with tyrguy's unit, the Sinrad IS12 unit has been discontinued. If it turns out that your transducer on the system you are replacing is a Simrad and not a Standard Horizon, I would be interested in buying it. I will also keep my eyes open for any available Standard Horizon masthead transducers in this area. Thanks. Dave Cahill

Guy Stevens

A brief set of throughts

If the speed transducer on the older models is the issue, then generally you can repair it if you are careful.

The speed on the older units is actually a small electric motor that is spun creating a voltage. (Basically a generator). Most of the time the demise of these units is caused by a failure of the bearings in the unit, or a failure of the brushes in the small motor.

One option is to install a new motor in place of the old one... You will have to take a look at it and determine the voltage of the existing motor and replace it. Another is to dissemble and clean the unit, free the existing bearings, compound them, then lube them.

It is unusual to see two of these units that are suffering from the speed being the inoperative section. Normally the direction is the failed component. Unfortunately the direction component is a triple resistor Wheatstone bridge with carbon rings and wipers, that are much harder to fix. (Although not impossible, I have done a couple in my time).

If the unit is failed as is, then taking it apart and having a good look is not likely to cost you anything..... Just a thought.

Guy
:)

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Windspeed transducer repair

Hi Guy. Thank you for information that some transducers can be repaired. I just assumed that the only course was to find a new one. The cups are turning so the bearings are probably not frozen. It gives me hope that I won't have to replace the whole unit. Thanks. Dave

tyrguy

Member II
Square is good

Mine are square also so that is a good sign. I tried cleaning and lubing the anemometer side and it doesn't want to free up, I did pop it out of its base and tried to take a part the motor looking thingy but I could not get the shaft to come out.

tyrguy

Member II
Juneau

Do you keep your boat in Juneau? If so, I think we might be up there soon and we could schedule it so we have a little extra time before we take the ferry out to Tenakee.

juneausailin

Member II
Yes!

Sorry, just now seeing this reply... I do currently have a boat up on Juneau... will be selling it soon... how was your visit to AK?

Do you keep your boat in Juneau? If so, I think we might be up there soon and we could schedule it so we have a little extra time before we take the ferry out to Tenakee.

juneausailin

Member II
Still looking?

I finally got around to replacing my wind indicator, so the original wind indicator that came with the 38 is down and ready to go... I would be happy to give it to a good home just to keep it out of a landfill...

I am need of a masthead transducer for a Standard Horizon WS150 wind speed gauge ours has succumbed to life in the saltwater air and has stopped spinning. Found a complete kit on Ebay brand new but don't really want to spend $500 just to get a new transducer. Talk SH and they were very helpful but the item has been discontinued for too long.

tyrguy

Member II
Found new in box

I found a complete new in box at Second Wave in Seattle couldn't believe my eyes.

We ended not going to see Gramma in Tenakee, Great gramma got sick down south. Next summer I hope.