Looking for 30ft - 38ft Ericson

DaddioV

Executive Summary:
Looking for an Ericson 30' to 38' with 5' or less draft. Prefer to spend less than 40k. Great shape is better, but dated and somewhat rough are okay. Must be sound and sail-able condition.

Background:
I owned a 1979 54' custom cutter for about 12 years and cruised the Caribbean and lived aboard with our family of 5 for about two and a half years when we first bought it. It was way too much boat for the daysailing and occasional overnighting that we were doing after returning to the US. We loved the boat and hung on for a long time but finally sold it about 18 months ago.
Now we're ready for another boat. I don't have any personal experience with Ericsons, but they really appeal to me based on their apparent quality, aesthetics, and performance. The fact that most of their owners are raving fans speaks volumes. So I'm planning to join their ranks.
I'm located on Galveston Bay so shoal draft is a plus. My wife loves the accommodations of a larger boat so a 38 might be ideal. However, we both recognize that the vast majority of our use will be day sailing with friends, so anything 30 feet to 38 feet would do. Anything on the Gulf or East coasts is fine. I've never had a boat trucked overland but I suppose for the right deal, it may be worth getting a Great Lakes or inland boat.
If you have a boat that fits the above and you're thinking of selling. I am a buyer who will appreciate and enjoy the boat and keep it sailing.

Also I'm open to any recommendations or feedback on one model over another.

Searching,

John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also I'm open to any recommendations or feedback on one model over another.
If you are really looking for a 30-something Ericson built boat and want room for some cruising... and easy sailing...
Keep an eye open also for an Ericson-built Olson like the 30 foot "911" model or an Olson 34 like mine. Both were built in the Ericson factory from 1988 thru 1990.
Click on my site name and then click on Media, for pix of ours.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Loren, that's a nice looking boat. Did they make any shoal draft keel versions?

John
EY built out at least one with wing keel, that showed up in pictures at a brokerage a few years ago. There might be another one, maybe.
Our O-34 has the standard draft keel of 6 feet.

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
John:

I have not listed my 84 E381 yet but have been preparing to do so. Its located in Corpus Christi. I'm attaching a few pics and an equipment list with recent upgrades. I thinking around 50K but open to offers. If you would like to discuss it contact me on this forum's private messaging.

Neil

Attachments

• Cabin Sole.jpg
    Cabin Sole.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Dinette.jpg
    Dinette.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 35
  • Galley.jpg
    Galley.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 32
  • Galley-1.jpg
    Galley-1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Galley-3.jpg
    Galley-3.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Helm.jpg
    Helm.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Nav Station.jpg
    Nav Station.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Starboard bow.jpg
    Starboard bow.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Stearn view.jpg
    Stearn view.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Waypoint Details.xlsx.pdf
    434.3 KB · Views: 13

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
S.V. Waypoint
1984 Ericson 381 Auxiliary Sloop
Hull ID # ERY38515M84A
USCG # 915024
LOA 37'.8"
LWL 30'.6"
Beam 12'.0"
Draft 4'11"
Displacement 15,560 lbs.
Ballast 6,960 lbs.
Mars Stability Bulb added to keel 660 lbs of additonal lead, (not reflected in specs above).
<snip>
That Mars Metal split-bulb upgrade would be highly desirable, imho.

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
Thanks Loren, attached is a pic of the keel.

Attachments

• Waypoint Keel.jpg
    Waypoint Keel.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Autoprop installed 2022.jpg
    Autoprop installed 2022.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 26