Longer wirerope "topping lift"

ron7546

Member II
It`s the measure twice cut once rule. Didn`t follow it. Being a rather short fella,I end up doing a " toe dance" on top of the cockpit divider when connecting or disconnecting the topping lift. (wire rope hung off backstay)
So I purchased a longer piece of wire rope and 2 swage fittings and very carefully removed the old.Didn`t even nick the backstay.Boy was I proud .
Now for reassembly.*%^$@#* You can already vision my problem. Can`t slip the swage fitting onto the backstay with the fittings in place.
Short of a new backstay,cable clamp (unnautical) or duct tape what are my options ? ? ? ?
Thanks in Advance
Ron

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Topping Lift ideas

In a prior post you seem to say that you sail an E-27.
That's a very large boat to still use a boom-tether swaged to the lower backstay like you would do for a small trailer-launched dinghy. You could just attach the new one with an ss bulldog clamp and chafe-tape the heck out of it... not pretty but workable.

Plan B: How about going with a true topping lift that terminates at the mast head or going to a spring-return rod vang?
The thing is, a real lift will support your boom for sail shape in light air, when slacking the halyard for a reef, and for lowering the main without conking the crew on the head.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

AleksT

Member III
I am assuming by swage fittings you mean nicopress. Take the nicopress carefully cut it on one side with a hacksaw. Then you can pry it open and slip it over the backstay (the "topping lift" will be slipped into the noncut side) Use some pliers to push the cut side together and then press it with the nico tool.

While this will be weaker than a complete nicopress it will be strong enough to hold the weight of the boom and sail.
If you use this method I would suggest NOT using your boom and topping lift to hang a hammock or have anyone sit on the boom when it is only being supported by a topping lift installed with this method.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ron,

You can use your main halyard to do the same thing that the wire on the backstay does.

A spring vang like Loren mentioned is a nice upgrade for controlling the boom. It will hold the boom up when reefing, keep the boom out of the cockpit when you drop the main and give you some mainsail trim control.

Another option is a BoomKicker http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|319697|311639|2611|311599&id=1297641 I have installed one on my E27 and am pleased.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My 32 has a double fitting that splits in two and is held together by a machine screw that runs between the two halves. Tightening the screw squeezes both halves of the fitting against the two cables that are run through it.

One half grips the backstay; the other half grips a short cable with a nicopress terminal at the end of it preventing it from running through the fitting.

It's been this way for decades with no problems.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Home depot had SS cable clamps like Tenders mentioned and they give a large surface area on the backstay that will distribute strain on the backstay and is a clean install that will be safe. Locktite the screws!

Walter Pearson

Member III
Ron, you must have better footwork than I do. When I used to do that 'Topping Lift Toe Dance', I thought it was going to be my last dance on many occasions. I have a split backstay so attaching that wire rope with the snap shackle on the end was not the issue. I just never liked having to center the boom, tame it with one arm and try to balance on my tiptoes with one leg wrapped around the binnacle and reach up with the other hand and get it hooked so I could reef or drop the mainsail. When single-handed in a freshening breeze or approaching squall - along with the usual chop without an autopilot, I just never got the hang of that procedure.

The first time my mast was down, I installed a topping lift from the top of the mast. It was a real treat to be able to jiffy reef while hove-to with quiet sails. Over the years, I had some issues with the topping lift catching on the leech, and there I was again, sometimes reaching up in precarious conditions, so have since removed that and installed a rigid vang. Which then caused me to rigidize the gooseneck, turn the center hatch around and on and on....

I only use that old topping lift now to keep the boom nice and immobile when in the slip.

Walter Pearson
E27 "Mejagay"