Location of Battery Charger on 88 E32

mjn

Member I
We have an an 88 E32. Head and Nav Station are aft Starboard and the Cabin and Galley aft on the Port side which I mention since this doesn't seem to match with the drawings in the manual that can be downloaded.

Batteries and the selector switch are in the aft cabin but where is the charger?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Different hull but similar size... and may have been finished out by the same guys!
Our original "ferro resonate" charger was installed under the port side laz. cockpit seat, which is opposite the side with the aft cabin (starb.). We replaced that old heavy beast (aka the 'hummer') with a smaller/lighter solid state technology charger and relocated it to another area aft.

Does your boat have a seat hatch? Maybe you can do some spelunking down there?

Loren

Slick470

Member III
It's also possible you don't have one. Our boat has a 120 volt shore power system, but no charger.

We thought there might have been one as the PO always had the boat plugged in, but he was using the boat as a big power strip to power a dehumidifier.

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Charger mystery

First of all it sounds like you may have an E 32-200 because I believe other 32's have the head forward and on the port side. If you have a large berth aft of the port side galley it's a "200." My original Stone Age charger was located on the aft side of the back wall of the head. You get at it through the starboard lazarette. Just look over the holding tank and at the back wall (bulkhead) of the head. It's big and may I say heavy. Good luck ...I sure wouldn't want to remove it again. I replaced it with a much lighter Pro-Mariner 1220 which has been flawless over six years.

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee
E 32-200
Savannah, Ga

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
First of all it sounds like you may have an E 32-200 because I believe other 32's have the head forward and on the port side. If you have a large berth aft of the port side galley it's a "200." My original Stone Age charger was located on the aft side of the back wall of the head. You get at it through the starboard lazarette. Just look over the holding tank and at the back wall (bulkhead) of the head. It's big and may I say heavy. Good luck ...I sure wouldn't want to remove it again. I replaced it with a much lighter Pro-Mariner 1220 which has been flawless over six years.

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee
E 32-200
Savannah, Ga

Ditto! Sounds like a 32-200.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
This is the starboard side sail locker on a PS/E-333 which is the same as an E-32-200. The new Statpower charger replaced the old hunk of iron in the same location.

Attachments

• En Douce 214.jpg
    En Douce 214.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 109

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
PS style

I put my charger back on the aft head bulkhead to get it out of the way. The only adjustment to be made was at the set up for battery bank numbers and type of battery. Lights tell what stage of the charge is happening so I don't really need to get to it. Just as long as I see the lights I can tell what's up. But I love the big locker light I can see at the top of your picture. Nice touch. I wired a much smaller 12 volt light to the locker which is fairly
adequate at night but not as classy as yours.

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee
E 32-200
savannah, GA

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I can't believe you guys are lusting after a Pacific Seacraft boat. Have you no pride? :0

Unfortunately, my son had to sell it last year, but it was a great boat.

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Lust is as lust does

Tom,
I love my 32-200 and only old age and/or dementia would cause me (or my guardians) to ever sell her. Your picture looks just like my locker except for the charger, that chandelier, and the little shelf on the right (aft) of the locker. My experience with being out on the hook overnight taught me the need for a light in both lockers. I found available 12 V sources and simply rigged up a light and switch I obtained at a local boat trailer store. I did the same under the galley sink. I put my fridge compressor on top of a table I built over the holding tank so I had to place the charger on the head back wall to give me room to wrestle with the compressor.

Always tinkering,

Larry

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Life is like a box of chocolates.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist since Larry is in Savannah and that's where Forest Gump was filmed.

Lusting after a Pacific Seacraft? Never... An Ericson? Give me one of those....!