Lifeline configuration

vbenn

Member III
Anyone out there with an opinion on why the lower lifelines between the stern rail and boarding gate end with a pelican hook instead of a turnbuckle. The upper lines have the turnbuckle. I believe that these are the original lifelines installed by PSC in 1997 on my E-380.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
1997 E-380 #22

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Both our life lines across the stern opening are secured with pelican hooks, and those have plenty of take-up in the threaded part to set the tension properly. It's a short distance across and no turn buckle is needed. Indeed, the ''fixed" portion of the forward lifelines do have turn buckles way up where they terminate at the bow pulpit, but that's because there is no way to change the length back at the eye fitting at the gate stanchion.

Our gate sections on both sides, from stern pulpits to the gate stanchion, also have pelican hooks and being short, no turn buckles are needed.

Or, I simply don't understand the question! :rolleyes:

Loren

Last edited:

vbenn

Member III
It would make sense if the upper lines also terminated at the stern rail with pelican hooks. Instead, they terminate with turnbuckles.

easy access ?

Does that arrangement allow you to move it temporarily to make working around the winches, sheet cleats, and any turning block at the end of the outbard rail easier? I might want to change to that configuration.

vbenn

Member III
No. I have complete access to the primary winches, cleats, etc. BTW, I just had new lifelines installed - - changed to uncoated 316 stainless 1x19 wire with turnbuckles at lower lifeline attachment to the sternrail.

Vince Benn

Peregrine

Member II
I have a PSC 380 1994 Hull # 16. It has the same configuration as yours, with the lower lifeline ending in a Pelican Hook. I am as curious as you. I thought it might have something to do with running spinnaker sheets and guys, but as you said, there is no reason for this because everything runs clear with the lower lifeline in place.

Tony
s/v Peregrine Spirit

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a PSC 380 1994 Hull # 16. It has the same configuration as yours, with the lower lifeline ending in a Pelican Hook. I am as curious as you. I thought it might have something to do with running spinnaker sheets and guys, but as you said, there is no reason for this because everything runs clear with the lower lifeline in place.

Tony
s/v Peregrine Spirit

Speaking of the sheet & guy, I have always found that both of these will go to a block shackled to the rail aft, how much "aft" is determined by how the sail sets. Usually we have the guy choked down to some extent with a snatch block on that side. Other Ericson's that I know of use a floating tackle on both sides to barber haul either or both sheets, even right down to the toe rail level for the guy on a reach.
The end of the sheet/guy always crosses the rail way under the lifelines and then goes to a winch directly or via a turning block.

LB