Lewmar "Old standard" Portlights

aquavit

Member II
Does anyone have any instructions from Lewmar regarding installation of the "Old standard" portlights, found in my 1990 Ericson 28? I have one non-opening portlight with a leak that shows up through 2 screws, it may be the horizontal external seam that needs re-sealing. How to re-seal it and what to use is unknown to me. I have another which seems to be leaking through the closing handles, I believe the installation of new o-rings (2 x 12 x 16mm) will solve that problem. I have one in the bathroom that leaks near the top and I believe that the only source for that leak is between the outer frame and the cabin. I wouldn't mind getting a look at an installation drawing before I take it out. If anyone has info I would appreciate it.

Glenn (Aquavit)

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner

aquavit

Member II
Thanks Tom.

I pulled both opening portlights out today as well as one fixed light. All 3 were leaking between the port frames and the cabin. The small black rubber seal between the upper and lower halves were still pliable and seemed to fit well. I don't know if the installations were original or if someone had decided to do a bit of preventative maintenance on them in the past but the installation was not good. I could actually see light around two of them once I took the inside ring off. I replaced the o-rings in the locks of the opening ports and cleaned the seals as well before putting them back in with 3M 4000. I am going to re-seal the other 3 lights over the next couple of weeks since I can only assume that if the 3 that I removed were leaking, the other 3 most likely are as well.

I don't suppose that anyone has 2 trim rings for Lewmar size 1 "old-standard" opening portlights do they???

Glenn (Aquavit)