Let Me Introduce Myself

aquavit

Member II
I have been viewing this site for a couple of months now and registered about 3 weeks ago. I didn't want to post until now because I had a sale in the works of a 1990 Ericson 28 and I just sent off the funds today to close the deal. My name is Glenn (Aquavit is the name on the boat) and I live in Bolton Ontario Canada. I would like to thank the people here who have invested time in the database of Ericson information. I was able to download and study the owners manual for the boat in question so that I could be as informed as possible. And here is the boat in question;

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rrency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=53789&url=

The boat is stored (indoors!) in Waukegan, north of Chicago and I am going to sail it to its new home in Penetanguishene Ontario at the end of May. This will be the longest sailing voyage of my life so far and I am really looking forward to it. We are planning on sailing up the western shore of Lake Michigan, through Mackinac, North Channel, then turning south after Manitoulin and following the Eastern shoreline of Georgian Bay before crossing from Meaford to Penetang. Thanks for the help of the site so far and for the future help that I am sure I will get once the boat is in my possession.

Glenn, eagerly waiting spring.

Attachments

• 2110244_2.jpg
    2110244_2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 2110244_3.jpg
    2110244_3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 2110244_9.jpg
    2110244_9.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 92
  • 2110244_11.jpg
    2110244_11.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 2110244_21.jpg
    2110244_21.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like one of the last Ericsons of that size, and very clean and nicely equipped as well.
Given the location it might be considered to be "half as old" in use as it is in years, too. :)

Welcome to the site and to the fellowship of Ericson owners.
:egrin:

Loren

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Welcome aboard, always a pleasure to have a fellow 28 sailor in the mix. You have got a great looking boat. The 28 is a treat to sail.

Best,
Frank E28

aquavit

Member II
Thanks for the complements. The boat condition is even better when viewed in person than the pictures show. The first owner sailed the boat in Lake Norman NC. A few years after purchasing it, he moved to Ocala Florida and stored the boat. The person I bought the boat from bought it in late 2006 so it has spent 5 - 6 seasons in the water at the most. The history of the boat is documented in a large binder that is on board. A recent survey rates the boat as "above average" and I flew to Chicago to inspect it myself before making an offer and spent 5 hours going through everything I could think of on the boat. Other than some weathered external teak that has been stained instead of cleaned and oiled, there really are no issues with the boat.

One unusual item regarding this boat is the sails. They were purchased from Gleason Sails in Michigan when the boat was new (as per the documentation in the orange binder). They do not have an Ericson logo on them but do have the correct hull number. The main and Jib have been used but are in almost new condition and the 150 has not been on the boat once. It needs to be modified to use on the roller furler.

If anyone has any experience with any aspect of the trip around the lakes, I would be glad to hear about it. I want to cover ground fairly quickly but if there are sights "not to be missed", or difficult areas that are best avoided, I would like to hear about them.

Thanks again, Glenn

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Welcome!

Hey Glenn -

Welcome to Ericsons - and congrats! I added the images from your broker's site (before they disappear) to your thread. You'll be very happy with your new purchase - the E28 is an wonderful boat!

We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

//sse

Lucky Dog

Member III
Welcome.

Look like it is great condition. If you sailing do during the summer and need some help, getting ready, sailing or other wise. Send me a note.

One of the few advantages of teaching is the life style...summers

ml

Earwax

New Viking
Hi Glenn,

Welcome to Ericson. She is a very nice looking boat. I'm pretty new here also, and you're right, the help and wealth of information here is fantastic. This is one of the few sites that I try to visit every day because there is a ton of past stuff to read.

Dave

boethius27

Member II
That sounds like an amazing sail you have planned. My wife and I are both from Michigan, various places therein. The waters out there are so beautiful. We are now in Boston, and a long ways from spending any time sailing the great lakes, but I really look forward to the day we do. If you pass by Escanaba MI on the north end of lake Michigan that is Jenny's hometown. It is a great little place and the downtown is a nice walk from the town marina. Have fun. Please keep us updated when the trip happens. It would be a fun trip to live vicariously through you!

cheers
Justin

Oh, and that is one beautiful boat you've found!
:egrin:

CTOlsen

Member III
Welcome to the fleet

Love the name, and the drink! Your boat looks very clean, worthy of many years of enjoyment.

CTO

Mort Fligelman

Member III
To a Great Adventure

Glen:

Congratulations on a great purchase....boat looks beautiful.....

Interesting....I bought my 87 35-3 on Lake Norman in 2006......Shipped it to Florida with the intention of giving up our home on Lake Michigan in Glenview, IL. and moving to Florida permanently.....BUT...after giving it 4 years, tempered with a lousy home market in the Chicago area, I decided that I was better off up north.....Long and short of it, the boat is being shipped back to Illinois in April where it will be 9 miles north of Waukegan.....how is that for a sort of commonality?

As to your trip up the lake......I have sailed 14 Mackinac races in my younger years, and since I was still working never was able to take the time to continue into the North Channel, nor come down the lake at leisure....but my crew used the boat and enjoyed it, and regaled me with the tales....wish I could have been there.....

I will think about you during the spring.....I hope you have great weather, and much of the wind on the beam....

I should be in North Point Marina in Winthrop Harbor, IL by Mid April.....I will keep a lookout and if you want to contact me via email mfligelman@aol.com, or phone......cell 1-847-414-1172, and I can be of any help while you are getting ready, please call.....the only thing that might happen is that I get ahead of schedule, and fly back to florida until late May.

Fair Winds and Calm Seas

aquavit

Member II
Thanks again to all for the compliments.

Mort, Thank you for your offer of support. Any insight that you have regarding the trip up the lake would be of great value to me. I planning the trip by chart and real world knowledge would be very useful to me. I noticed on the chart that north of Waukegan there is a large military "restricted area" out in the lake. I assume that it would be a good idea to steer clear of it? Also, we are planning to sail round the clock part of the trip to keep on schedule. How were the winds on the night watches of your races up the lake?

Glenn.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Lake Info

Glen:

In all probability what you are looking at is the restricted area for the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. You should not have a problem.

Generally, the rule of thumb going North on the Lake is to stay west of the 20 Degree rumb line to Mackinac......normally the winds are westerly, and since the lake is always cold, there is almost always some heat of the land.....depending on temprature that could almost be on the beach or out several miles.

That being said.....if the wind is out of the North East.....all that is of coutse down the drain.......and pull into the nearest port and wait......the lake builds a short steep chop, spaced very closely.....so it will beat your brains out in addition to being very wet.....unless the wind is 10 to twelve....over fourteen it is not comfortable......depending on what your comfort zone is....

You really cannot forcast weather more then 6 hours in advance on the lake...so stay loose.....night or day, conditions stay pretty much the same.

As I said....because I strictly sailed the race to Macinac I have no true knowledge of what else to expect......VERY VERY new charts would be a must. Until you get to the North Channel from what I have been told there is very little draft problem.

Hope this is of some small help.....

Stay in touch

aquavit

Member II
Mort;

Thanks for advice. If we get a windshift to the northeast, we will head for port. I grew up on Lake Huron and I have seen how quickly the chop can come up on the lakes. We made a few rough trips through it in small power boats when I was a kid and it is not enjoyable.

Glenn.

aquavit

Member II
I have received an email from the broker in Waukegan informing me that my boat is out of the building that it was stored in over the winter and they are going to begin preparations for launch. Only 26 more days to go!! I am attaching a picture of the boat in profile.

Glenn

IMG00092.jpg

Last edited: