Lectrasan a standard E23 option ?

Sven

Seglare
I've seen and read about Raritan Lectrasan MSD-I units for years, but I've never befor owned one. My first question is if they were a standard option at any time ? I'm asking because I'm wondering if the installation was done by the factory and may be correctly engineered or if it was done after delivery, probably as a custom installation.

I don't know if the head works yet. Since there does not seem to be a holding tank I don't know of any non-messy way to try it unless I'm out in open MDS-I legal territory. I sure hope it works because it's a really elegant system, but we'll still need to add a holding tank since there are a few no-discharge areas around here.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
I found part of the answer in the downloadable documents here; Raritan was standard equipment on the Ericsons. The documents don't specifically state if that includes the Raritan Lectrasan, but I'll assume it does.

The next question is directly related:

Under the v-berth there is a bracket that looks like it is designed to hold something like an auto battery. On some list somewhere a boat owner stated that she couldn't use a Lectrasan because it would be too far from the house batteries. I'm guessing that the bracket under the v-bert is a battery for the Lectrasan to provide high current flush-treat cycles with the battery being slowly recharged from the house batteries between cycles.

Do any of you have such a battery setup for a Lectrasan ? Any other explanations, like a windlass or power winches (on a 23 footer !?) or ... ?

Thanks,

-Sven