Leaky Mast!

p.gazibara

Member III
Hey all,

I bought my Ericson 35-2 "Cinderella" in September-November of last year. Living in the PNW translates to a bit of rain in the winter, and that bit of rain has found its way into my cabin along the compression post. What is the best way to stop this leak? Does the mast need to come down?

Thanks!

-P

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As far as I know, rain running down inside the mast is inevitable, and generally runs out onto the cabin floor unless some means is devised to get it to go directly into the bilge.

The mast boot can be sealed many ways, the easiest being tape.

I'd love to see the issue solved.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
As far as I know, rain running down inside the mast is inevitable, and generally runs out onto the cabin floor unless some means is devised to get it to go directly into the bilge.

The mast boot can be sealed many ways, the easiest being tape.

I'd love to see the issue solved.

New mast boot, new tape. Next we will try a toilet wax ring.

mfield

Member III
I believe the 35-2 has a deck stepped mast, the 35-3 a keel stepped mast. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I think that means you will need to remove the mast to seal under the plate.

We take on a pint or two of water with every rainstorm, it ends up in the bilge not the cabin. I rationalize that at least it's fresh water not salt.

Last edited:

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
mfield you are correct. It's a deck stepped mast.

p.gazibara, I am sorry to tell you very bad news. Mine was leaking for some time and recently I have repaired it. The bad news is unless its leaking down a water tight pipe through the deck (for wires) then it has been getting into the deck itself. The raised area on the deck just under the mast was cracking on mine and rust was coming out.
I did surgery this is what I found. I cut the fiberglass cap off. Under it was a piece of rusty 45 year old steal. Regular steal not anything good. Then a layer of glass then quarter inch plywood soaking wet then solid glass. The steal and the plywood were the same shape as the fiberglass cap under the mast. It was a real mess. I am providing a link to a face book album. I don't know if these links work or if you have FB but if you can see my album the entire repair is there.
Good luck.
Phil
https://www.facebook.com/phil.macfa...0204818188592616.1073741850.1175599952&type=3

Dave N

Member III
35-II is deck stepped. Another possibility is that, perhaps, some water enters the mast via an antenna cable at the top of the mast or internal halyard entry points etc. Ours had a 4" tube sticking thru the deck(inside the mast) to allow for the entry of various wires/cables. This needs to be sealed around its base and where the wires enter it. The mast must come down for access.

Attachments

• P5010004 (2).jpg
    P5010004 (2).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 292

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The message that starts this thread states that the mast has a compression post.
Deck stepped spars can sometimes have problems with water intrusion under the mounting plate and wiring pass-through, no matter what brand of boat.

I had to re-seal that part on our prior boat in under 15 years, so it might be expected on a boat built in the 70's.
Sounds like time to remove the spar, pull up the plate & wire runs and rebuild as needed. :(

Loren

Last edited: