Leaking shower faucet

Kim Schoedel

Member III
This is a project I have put off since purchasing our boat a couple years ago. The PO at the time of sale pointed out that the control valve for the shower leaks when you attemt to turn on the shower. My guess is that at some time it froze and has a crack in it. No leaks when the system is pressureized. Just leaks when you turn it on. It is a combination control. Turn it left for more hot and right for cold.

Hoping someone out there has some guidance for me to replace the valve. I hate anything to do with plumbing, I am cursed with stupidity when it comes to plumbing. This is why I haven't done the repair, but sure would like to use the shower for something other than storage.

Thanks

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I tackled this one this year Kim. Simply remove the 2 screws from the face of the mixer. You can then pull it off and there is a bronze fixture behind that 2 gray plastic hoses attach to. The shower hose comes off the bottom of the fixture. It appears to be a fairly simple home type faucet that you can get at home depot.

My mixer works fine but I need to replace the hose for the shower head because it became kinked. Great for saving water when it will not flow at all!

Mine is still apart. I will try and get you some photos tomorrow.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks a bunch Tim. If it isn't too much trouble, photo's would be great. I didn't see any screws on the face of the mixer. I'll look again. Perhaps there is a plate or cover on the face that one would pry off with a small screw driver?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I will be working on portlights tonight. I will try and get those photos for you. We may not have the same mixer. The 2 screws on mine are outside of the control knob at 3:00 and 9:00. I may have had to remove the control knob to get to them. Talk to you later.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Kim, I was wrong about the screw placement. They are at 11:00 and 1:00.

- Photo 1 shows the mixer with the 2 screws. These do not go into the holes you see in the white shower wall.

- The next photo shows the back of the mixer. Normally the shower hose would be attached at the center bottom of this fixture.

- The last photo shows the wooden block that the mixer attaches to. The wooden block is screwed into the the back of the shower wall from 4 screws in the front that you see in the second picture.

Attachments

• shower1.jpg
    shower1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 85
  • shower2.jpg
    shower2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 87
  • shower3.jpg
    shower3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 93

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Great photo's and text Tim. This helps alot. Now we'll see about my pluming skills. But it looks pretty simple if I just have to replace parts.

Thanks again!