leaking Oberdorfer

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
New problem today. (Sigh)
Friday I did the oil and filter change and put in the new impeller and ran it for 20 minutes. All was well. Today I ran it in gear after checking the level in the transmission. (Oddly enough I did have to add about 1/4" of pink ATF. Cannot feel any seepage under the trans or at the bell housing... I guess that I shall just have to check it often.)

Immediately after starting up the little raw water pump started a slow dribble of water right behind the front part of the casting. Rats. :mad:
The front plate with its new paper gasket is dry, FWIW.

After 20 years and 1880 hours I suppose it has a limit to its life, but we have plans to go on vacation in June :rolleyes: (Note to self: man proposes, God disposes...)

When I had the pump shaft out to install the new impeller I did notice that the shaft was scored - and per the diagram there is a sleeve inside the pump housing. The oil seal in the back must be fine as ever; no seeping of oil.
Some years ago I had a mechanic friend lap the front plate to get the grooves out so it would seal and pump better.
**Sidebar: I have been cursing that front circlip annually, since 1995, BTW. Sheesh, that little piece of spring steel is hard to reinsert...
Without a shop or press, is the normal procedure just to buy another pump? Do people normally rebuild these things? Or, as is often the case, does the cost of a shaft, bushing, and labor equal the price of a whole pump?

Advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Loren
ps: I just ran across this older thread. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6513&highlight=oberdorfer
Perhaps replacement is a reasonable option. I shall check pricing on a new one, just in case.

Attachments

• 200142-57.gif
    200142-57.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Rhynie

Member III
Loren,
I think that it is Moyer Marine (Google it) that carries a rebuild kit. It is not a major deal, common tools and a vice. If you have it completely torn down, you may also consider a retrofit 'shoe' that increases the pump volume. The drip is not really a crisis, does yours have the grease cup? If yes, pack it and turn the cap down tight.

Just checked them
http://www.moyermarine.com/
go there and search 'water pump'

Chris A.

Member III
Just curious Loren, do you normally pull the shaft when you change the impeller? I thought that could disrupt the seals and create some leaking. I always pull the impeller carefully while leaving the shaft in place. The little c-clip pliers that you can get at the hardware store help make dealing with the retainer clip a bit more graceful...

Good luck on fixing the problem...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Chris, I heard the same wisdom after we got this diesel inboard (and our first such engine configuration) back in the 90's. Local mechanics later told me to just be super careful/gentle and work the end of the shaft back into place. No problem with the oil seal, even now. The actual seal is a "lip seal" with a little spring around it inside the plastic/neopreme material.
I do remember reading that you would not want any burrs or a sharp edge to the shaft that you are guiding into the seal. Maybe that wisdom was right...

I wish I had a circlip remover -- tried one once and none of the pins were small enough for this particular little clip. Probably need to look around some more. It's a bugger to deal with even after the shaft is out.

Thanks again,
Loren

ps: here is the current pdf page from the pump maker. Good information. Interesting what you can find on-line.

Attachments

• 202M Series 4 page.pdf
    223.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My circlip remover came from Sears, off the shelf, and works great.

I seem to remember Moyer saying he didn't think the circlip is strictly necessary.

He has a new pump, slightly modified with better seals, knurled thumbwheels on the impeller cover for easy removal, and an o-ring instead of a paper gasket.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
As I remember, I had to grind down the tips on my cir clip tool to fit the small clips.

And FWIW, I copied the name of:

Commercial Water Pump Rebuilders
1151 West 22nd Street
Houston Texas 77008
eMail: ushudsons@yahoo.com
Phone: 713 864 5199 Fax: 713 864 5190
http://www.waterpumpkit.com/home.html

I have no experience with them, but someone recommended them.

I bought my replacement pump at marineparts.com. They had the pump (Oberdorfer n202m-15)and a good price at the time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ran the engine today and found that the water pump had not somehow magically healed itself overnight -- so I removed it and turned it over to my mechanic friend for a rebuild. This should be less expensive than a replacement. "More news as it happens" (as the talking heads always say on TV).
These pumps are $233.73 new from Fisheries Supply (out of Seattle) per their web site.

LB

Rhynie

Member III
Loren,
At least you can stay dry and tackle your problem. I tangled with a crab trap float last weekend (I know it did wrap up in there) and limped home thinking I had a line in my prop. I took a dive underneath yesterday and I'm missing 1/2 of one blade and about 1/3 of the other; it may have been brittle to start with. It looks like I'll be renting some scuba gear to swap it out this week sometime.
Ahhhh, the joys of boat ownership!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Oberdorfer!" (Bless you...)

Some Closure:
The old pump was deemed to be too badly worn inside the casting to be worth the labor to rebuild.
I was able to get a deal on a new one for about $200., sourced from Fisheries Supply in Seattle.
The new one uses an O-ring seal instead of the old paper gasket, too.

As further proof of how the old pump had lost pumping capacity, even with a new impeller, the new Oberdorfer primed in a heartbeat and a lot more water surged out of the exhaust.
:)

LB