Lazy Jacks

Guy Stevens

Ok Who is buying the GIN?

This is generally the point in the conversation that I say to the questioner; "Buy me a GIN and tonic and I will SHOW you." However since this in a virtual bar, I guess I will get to the point. Those little straws that come with the Gin and Tonic are what I really need.

All Spars, Masts, Booms, Bow Sprits, Whisker sprits, Boomkins, you get the idea only work in one direction... That is they are in compression only. The minitue you take them out of compression, even if they are the latest and greatest super strong unobtanium composite, then break. Spreaders wood, aluminum or what have you are the same deal. The spreaders are meant to hold the standing rigging off of the mast, in doing so they are in compression, since that is their deisgnated purpose most of them are only attached to the wires that they are holding off the mast by a little siezing wire, or some small guage aluminum plate. Some have neat little cast aluminum ends with cut outs for the wires, but again it only holds the wire OUT, not the spreader up.

The spreaders are held UP by the spreader brackets at the mast. Indeed it is a good idea to always step on the spreaders as close to the mast as you can get your feet, so that the spreader brackets hold up your weight, further out and you are betting that the friction of the spreader tip on the loaded shroud will be enough to keep the outboard end up even with your weight on it. Mostly it won't if you weigh more than say about 100 lbs.

The farther you are away from the spreader brackets the more force you place on the spreader section. The sections of the spreaders are manufactured like mast sections to be in compression. They are exactly wrong for standing on if they are the wing shaped spreaders. When you stand on them you put them in shear load, as the thinest and therefore weakest dimension of the section is the one that you are putting your force against...

Take the straw out of my Gin and tonic here, and Carefully grasp each end between the index finger and thumb in each hand. Keeping the ends in line with the straw push in toward the center of the straw, so that you are trying to push your fingers together. See it actually will take quite a bit of pushing on before it collapses. Now do the same thing with the other straw (Why do Gin and Tonics always seem to come with two straws?) while you are pushing I am going to reach over and push down slightly in the middle of the straw. What happend, it collapsed a lot easier didn't it?

Now if you only hold one end of the straw and push it against the glass you can see that it works as well, push down the end on the glass, it is really really easy isn't it? And the straw folds in half and collapses.... This last demo is a spreader in function, the straw pushes on the glass without being fixed to it. Your finger is the spreader bracket and the glass is the shroud. When you press down on the end of the straw which is touching the glass it is just like you were standing on the end of the spreader. OR that you were sheeting home the main with the lazy jacks tight, and no topping lift. Spreader in action.....

This doesn't address the discontinous rigs on the 39 and 46's but if you take the lower spreader boots off of these it should make sense still, and the lower spreaders on these are still in compression. The loads are to be applied along the long axis of the spreader, not on either of the short axis. They do have some other neat things going on here, which need to be considered when you are tuning the rig.

In short, a foot or so out from the mast is fine, more is running a risk if someone uses the lazy jacks as a topping lift....

Great day on the bay followed by a couple of glasses of red wine, so I will edit this tomorrow for spelling and understandability.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
Just wanted anybody to know if they are looking into Lazy Jacks I highly recommend Jiffy Jax, I installed them myself and was easy. It works perfectly and cost was 280. Took about 4 hours. I did lots of research and decided on this company because of customer service and many, many testimonials even one from our organization/group.

Thanks for your input.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Don,

Tell me, were you able to use reefing hooks to hold the retracted lines or did you use the cleats to secure or the bungee/snap shackles? Just curious.

I used mine again this last Friday in a very gusty changing wind and things just worked great.

bigtyme805

Member III
Kim I used the exact set-up he gives you. I did not deviate from the instructions I even bought a rivet gun which I never used in my life, what a plus this was. I used reefing hooks. I have not been able to use it yet because of time constraints. Just at the dock. I will this weekend.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Don,

I too had my first experience with the rivet gun thing. Worked great and now I can rivet things.

I still need to cut off the extra Jax halyard line, but have just gone sailing instead of working on the boat. You should be pleased with the way the system works. I have been out a few times solo and just left the system deployed. You do need to watch your main as you hoist so the battens (we have full battens) don't hang up on the system when leaving the jax deployed though.

The best part of this is that people don't hear my wife and I holler at each other with me attempting to flake the main while she is trying to adjust the helm to wind shifts! Marital bliss has returned to Windfall.

Happy Sailing!

bigtyme805

Member III
Kim,

That is so funny about the flaking and the wife because that is the same thing with my wife. I also have full battens (recently new) that is the reason for lazy jacks being acquired. Must be related because I have not cut my extra halyard length as of yet.

Thanks for all your help, you are the main reason I got the Jiffy Jax system, now 2 boaters on my dock want the same system. It's funny, a lot of people don't even know about lazy jacks.

Be well and thanks again.

dave_g

Member II
I have a 71 E29 and after looking at the web sites and talking to the reps, I went with Jiffy Jax. It looks like a good system. I just put on the mast blocks and I'm hoping my boat will be launched this week, so I can complete the installation.

Since my boat has the original roller boom furling, they made a simple modification to allow me to disconect the lazy jack halyard from the rest of the system. They added a shackle to each halyard, where it attaches to the other lines. I can now disconnect the lazy jack halyard and roll everything around the boom.

I am very encouraged by Don and Kims results. One of our most stressful times is lowering the main, with me barking orders at my wife to steer this way and that. This is my main reason for adding lazy jacks, and customer service is my reason for the jiffy jax system.

Dave

dave_g

Member II
I have a 71 E29 and after looking at the web sites and talking to the reps, I went with Jiffy Jax. It looks like a good system. I just put on the mast blocks and I'm hoping my boat will be launched this week, so I can complete the installation.

Since my boat has the original roller boom furling, Dave (at Jiffy Jax) made a simple modification to allow me to disconect the lazy jack halyard from the rest of the system. They replaced the ring on each halyard, where it attaches to the other lines with a shackle. I can now disconnect the lazy jack halyard and roll everything around the boom.

I am very encouraged by Don and Kims results. One of our most stressful times is lowering the main, with me barking orders at my wife to steer this way and that. This is my main reason for adding lazy jacks, and customer service is my reason for the jiffy jax system.

Dave

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Just a quick update. I continue to be impressed with our Jiffy Jax system. Whether it is J J or L J or some other main sail management system. The reduction of tension (stress on board) and increased safety, is well worth the investment. I can solo with confidence and if my wife is taking a nap down below and it is time to drop sail, I can drop the main with ease and tend to fine tuning the flake later all by myself. Happy sailing to all.