Guest viewing is limited
  • Untitled Document

Join us on May 31st, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

May Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lazy Jack

Guy Stevens

There were a few problems with raising the sail too. The stays get all caught up in the lines of the lazy jack.

Can you rephrase that? I am confused as to how the lazy jacks get tangled with the Stays when you are raising the sails?

If you mean the battens, or other parts of the sail, the lazy jacks should not be up when the sail is being hoisted, they should be in their stowed position along the boom. I am confused as to what is happening with your sail raising.

Wow I replied to a 2004 post because I couldn't read the screen.. How funny....

Guy
:)

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'll agree with Mike and disagree with Guy. I've had a Dutchman on Xanthus since I bought her in '96. It has worked great for me with the original sail and its replacement. The cost is high for a first time customer, but comes down considerably for a replacement main - well less than half, IIRC.

My topping lift is pinned at the masthead and adjusts from the boom. Not a problem.

I have never lost a down line (probably because I was given a spare set at a boat show :)) and the down lines don't interfere with the sail shape if the topping lift is properly set. I set my topping lift in the spring and it stays there all season, typically. I have no idea what Guy is referring to when he mentions "jams" because there are no moving parts.

Emerald

I in no way mean this post to be perceived as argumentative, just my perspective. I sail with a friend with lazy jacks, and thought they were nice. I then bought a very good condition used main that had been setup for the dutchman. I went ahead with a System A setup (halyard style topping lift), and in my mind, there is absolutely no comparison in performance between my friends setup with lazy jacks and the dutchman. My friend has issues with the full battens getting snagged in the lazy jacks if the boat is not held dead perfect into the wind (something my girl friend still has issues trying to maintain), and the dutchman leaves the sail truly flaked in a great zig-zag versus a heap between the lazy jacks - let go of the halyard and watch the sail just drop and flake itself down. Occasionally, I might ease the topping lift if the guide lines for the dutchman affect sail shape (off the wind), but it's pretty rare that it's an issue, and the toping lift is marked so I know right where to put it back for proper operation. I basically have inexperienced crew with me, so I effectively am solo all the time. It makes my life so much easier not having the main falling all over the place, and the roman shade like action of the dutchman keeps it right where you want it. And, with that in mind, I was in a situation a couple years back where I got hit with a wind shift/gust in about 25 knots that jibbed me and broke every slide on the main. The only thing holding the main in place and keeping it from being a total mess were the guide lines for the dutchman. They did a fantastic job of controlling the main and giving me a chance to fire up the engine, get her into the wind and the sail down and under control. My crew was the same girl friend, so i as once again basically solo, and very thankful to have the dutchman. So, last season I had Quantum build me a new yankee. I'm planning on them building me a new main in another season, and it will definitely get fitted with the dutchman. Just my $.02, and worth what you paid. :egrin: