Last trip of the season

rgoff

Member III
I haven't used my E27 much this season, as I bought a small RV and have been traveling around in it. Much easier to solo in it than the boat. :)

I did manage to add 2 trips over the last couple of weeks. The first only 25 nm (round trip) from my Dana Point homeport to Newport Beach. I had planned to go to Catalina Island from Newport, but the forecast suddenly changed to Santa Ana winds and I decided to be safe and not go.

However, a few days later I took off from Dana Point for White's Landing on Catalina (70 nm round trip) and spent 3 nights there. Out of the many moorings (maybe 60 or so) in the bay, there were only about 4 other boats there. Very peaceful. I didn't take my dinghy, so I just sat on the boat and read and played my guitar. I'm too whimpy to take a swim this time of year. I lucked out and the Harbor Patrol never showed up to collect mooring fees (probably around $23/night). Not enough people to worry about mid-week, I guess.

I'm happy to say that many upgrades to my boat made over the last couple of years functioned fine: Origo alcohol stove, propane BBQ, new head, improved icebox insulation.

In addition, the old Atomic 4 (which has given me problems the last couple of years) purred for the entire time it was used. Hopefully replacing the fuel tank, coil and electric fuel pump have me in good shape for a while.

Out of the roughly 13 hours round trip transit to Catalina, I motored about 1/2 the time and sailed the other. On the way back I was hitting 6 knots on a broad reach as I neared Dana Point.

One comment on icebox insulation. A friend gave me some insulation padding last year. It's like bubble wrap with aluminum foil like stuff on each side. Only about 1/4" thick. I cut a piece that lays over the ice and contents and also taped one to the underside of the ice box wood cover. Outstanding results!! I bought three 10 pound blocks of ice Saturday night and when I was cleaning out the boat Thursday a.m. I still had around 7 pounds left!

I'm hoping to make a major trip next year that would entail harbor hopping from San Diego up to Santa Barbara and returning to Dana Point via Catalina Island. That would be as close to a "circumnavigation" as I'll get in my sailing life. :)

Attached pictures show the beach from my mooring at White's Landing, Catalina and all the empty moorings in the bay.

For Mapquest or Google Earth, the coordinates for my mooring at White's are:
N 33 23.555
W 118 22.126

Happy sailing,

Attachments

• BoatTrip1006 008.jpg
    BoatTrip1006 008.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 69
  • BoatTrip1006 006.jpg
    BoatTrip1006 006.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 64