Lap Top Advice

Tom Plummer

Member III
My old HP Pavilion xh485 is just not up to the task of running the newest version of Nobeltec, it only has 4meg of video ram. The old laptop had a problem with visibility in direct sunlight but since it is 5 years old I figure that there have been some improvements. So I am on the market for a new laptop (toy) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Navigating for Dollars...

First Rule: no matter what you buy it will be eclipsed by something niftier and cooler six months later....
:)
Having said that, I went through a protracted personal debate over acquiring a dedicated chart plotter (1K to over 2K) vs a laptop computer that would have to hide in a dry nav station... and factored in having a reliable and user-friendly OS... and bought a new 14" iBook a couple months ago. The navigation software, combined in a package with an external GPS antenna (USB), was $139. and change. Gotta get some charting d/l for my area this spring.

If you can stomach Windoz, I know of several Toshiba brand laptops that have done long term (ocean crossing) offshore trips with no hardware breakdowns. One local marine electronics dealer that sells marine laptops was still warning their customers away from Win XP a year ago due to instability, FWIW. :(

I figured that the comparison comes down to water resistance and screen size. The iBook would give me a 12" screen ($700. to $1000) or a 14" screen ($1150 to $1290). The screens on all the chartplotters tend to be tiny, up to 6 or 8 inch, for a lot of b.u.c.'s for the later. Plus side is the Garmins and their competitors could take a splash, and could even be attached to the SS guard at the helm. Figuring that it would be nice to have a full computer and source of music and movies on board, the laptop seemed like a reasonable compromise, with the caveat that it must live down below.
Screen brightness -- the Apple screeens are some the best and brightest on the market, with a wide viewing angle.
:D
No "field reports" yet. Boat is winterized and we are having freezing rain today in PDX. Ask me again in April!

All the best,

Loren
Portland, OR (26 degrees)

Mindscape

Member III
Laptops

I use an IBM laptop (running windows - can't deal with that weird apple OS :) ) connected to my Garmin handheld (GPS MAP 76). I use it on Mindscape and in the car when traveling. As Loren mentioned - screen size and brightness are two important factors. The other I've found is how to mount the laptop securly, while still allowing it to be removed for use else where. Any new laptop will most likely power the current software. I've not had any issues (after one season) that have required repair.

I've been considering a charplotter so that I could have something in the cockpit, I just don't feel good about the laptop in the cockpit.

As Loren said the laptop provides a lot of other opportunity as well - movies, music and with some luck a wireless connection or dial up for email.

I'm running Win2000, but we use XP at work on a number of boxes with no issues so I think the XP concerns are behind you.

I won't begin the Windows vs. Apple thing here :egrin:

soup1438

Member II
Platform Selection

The real problem w/ choosing is what you want to choose it *for*.

Now I tend to run a Linux platform on my machines-- both deathtop and laptop. While this has it's advantages (stability, resistance to hacks, etc) it makes it possible to use older machines.

The problem is that a lot of the mapping/charting software WILL NOT WORK on a Linux box, even with the judicious use of WINE (which allows _some_ Windows apps to be run) which really cuts into the utility of a machine.

That being said there's at least the POSSIBILITY to use a MacOS X system-- even on an older iBook-- simply because MacOS X is a bit less picky about requiring "bleeding edge" hardware (which WinXP really wants).

Due to the corrosive nature of the salt-air environment (well... I guess those on the lakes can ignore this aspect) you DON'T WANT the latest (and most expensive) machine on board!

Figure out what you want-- DVD playback, for instance, will mean that the machine has to be fairly recent-- and also figure out if you can get the charger to work from a 12V system.

Consider also how much DASD... uhhhh... disk space... you need for carrying your MP3s and "alternative" video content (smirks knowingly). Admittedly a "specialized" device for this will likely have lowered power requirements against the more generalized laptop computer... though at a cost premium.

Some reading material that's on the Web can be snarfed for "Palm Powered" (PalmOS) devices using "Plucker" to pull down the content and package it up for off-line reading as eBooks.

(Gawd I'm wasting everybody's time.)

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have found my Dell Inspriron 1100 to be rather unreliable. Dell's extended service people have been very good about fixing it, but at sea I do not feel that I can rely on it. Basically a ggod computer, which has been good to work with at home, but not where I had intended to use it (sailboats and warships).
I would however recommend the case I bought for it - a Pelican waterproof case with the pluck out foam. I once demonstrated what I thought of it to a friend by throwing it into a swimming pool. Also, when I needed new foam for my camera case, Pelican gave me a whole new case free because they did not make that size any more.

Gareth

Freyja E35 #241 1972

chrism

Inactive Member
I've had my Compaq laptop for about three months, and can't believe I lived without it! I have a modern (under a year old) desktop, but love the mobility of the laptop. I plan on taking it cruising this summer. I have WIFI built in, and hope to buy an antenna that I can mount topsides so I can have internet at the marinas now offering WIFI to the mooring fields.

The computer cost about two grand when all was said and done. I got an insurance plan thats good for 4 or 5 years after the warranty runs out, which includes a new battery every year, and accidental damage coverage. Get a good warranty/insurance, just in case you hurt your screen! I know everyone knows this, but you always should take it into account. The system shouldn't have cost so much, but I made it to a personal goal, and wanted it THAT DAY, so off to CompUSA I went.

Remember, another option for a computer onboard are those Shuttles/small form factor PCs, or that new Apple pc. A friend has a Shuttle onboard with an LCD display below, and he plans to have a small (8") touchscreen display in the cockpit by summer. A nice system indeed!!! AND if you make it yourself, works out to roughly the same, or a little more than a new laptop. It also gives you the final reason to get that LCD monitor you've been salivating over.

Just my two cents (and lack of sense?)

Chris