Kubota Engine Block Numbers

clayton

Member III
Another bit of info I learned is where to find the Kubota block # and serial # on the Universal diesel. It is located on the left side of the engine (as you face it) on a flat spot below the injectors. On the M25 XP it was difficult to read the 'D950' block designation, but the serial number was very easy to read. On a friend's Tartan 33 with an M30, there was no clearance under the bridgedeck to see this area, so we used a mirror and flashlight, then did a pencil rubbing on paper to make sure 5's were 5's and not backward 2's... On one of the Catalina owners' websites, someone had listed finding their serial # on the dipstick, however, it is the same as the number on my dipstick, just a part number. There is a list of Kubota block #'s for Universal diesels at:
www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Atomic_4_Eng_Service/History_of_the_Universal_Motor_Company_4.html

The M25 XP is a 'B' series tractor engine on lists on sites like www.tractorsmart.com. Local Kubota dealers will most likely need the block designation # and the serial number for parts.

Clayton

cawinter

Member III
Tractorsmart Update

Just wanted to post this email that I got today from the tractorsmart people. No personal or commercial interest in the company. -Chris-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over the years I have received many inquires on marine engines that I guess
Kubota in Japan must have originally produced.
Even thought the block numbers and engine numbers may be similar there are
many items that I have found to be different.
Timing covers, water pumps, valve covers, starters, etc.
Apparently that is a big secret between Kubota and the marine engine
companies they sold to.
I guess to protect the marine engine company profit when it comes to parts
sales.

Ordering parts from a Kubota tractor engine manual is just a shot in the
dark unless you know someone who has done so with success.
I don't mind if you want to pay the restocking fees and ship back parts that
will not work for you.

You can follow the directions below to download the parts manual on the
Kubota B1750 tractor.

Click the link below to go to our website and begin the download.

http://www.tractorsmart.com/Books/B1750E.htm

When you open the parts book in Adobe Acrobat Reader the bookmarks on the
left side will take you to that page.
The picture of the parts will be first on your screen. The next page after
the picture will have the reference number and part numbers. Notice that the
heading at the top of the page is the same for the picture page and the
description page.

Please pay particular attention to any notes in the remarks or serial number
columns. Also any serial number reference at the top of the page.
If you intend to use our online ordering system (see link below).
http://www.tractorsmart.com/PartsBooksKubota/KubotaPriceList.asp
Remember that you are your own parts counter person and be certain of your
choice.
If you have any doubt as to the correct part number please email before
ordering.

Thanks
Ronnie Bowman parts@tractorsmart.com

diamondjim

Member II
Re Tractor Smart

I have done business with Ronnie Bowman at Tractor Smart and he was very, very helpful with the parts on my Z-500/600 (Universal 5411). Great source! I rebuilt the head on the origional engine and found the bottom end needed work as well. So I bought an EXACT replacement engine from an E-Bay dealer who imports engines from Japan. $800 delivered from Washington State to my front door in Falls Church VA near Washington, DC. The engine came out of a rice harvester and tested out fine, ran like a champ! Beats $6 to $7000 at the marine dealer!!! :) Everthing was the same as the old engine - marine equipment bolted right up and installed as original. Starters & alternator went right on, no problem. The alternator bracket/water jacket transfered right over.
I apologize for getting 2 subjects mixed together here but there are major hints here for anyone who wants save a gob of bucks.