Knife on the Water

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Knife in the Water

Anyone see the 1962 Roman Polanski film "Knife in the Water"?

Just watched it on TCM. It is Polish with subtitles but all takes place on a sailboat.

Last edited:

Gregoryulrich

Member III
I watched it for the first time last night and really enjoyed it, particularly the soundtrack. I found it weird that the protagonist cut the halyard when they grounded the boat but I suppose it was a red herring.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Rick,

I have seen Knife on the Water, I remember it being a rather odd movie.

How about this;

http://youtu.be/v5EjFFUkKkE

"I Sailied to Tahiti With an all Girl Crew"

I haven't managed to sit through the entire movie yet, it's pretty funny, in a 1968 non politically correct way!

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Saw it a couple years ago on cable and it was interesting. I'd like to watch it again but it doesn't come up in a search on Comcast here. It's not as good as Riddle of the Sands, but it's watchable for sure.

I looked it up, it's actually "Knife in the Water"

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We all went to see it when it came out, and certainly Polanski was rarely out of contention whenever movies were discussed for the four decades.

Don't tell anybody, but I didn't get "Knife" then, and I tried to watch it a few years ago and -- still didn't.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We all went to see it when it came out, and certainly Polanski was rarely out of contention whenever movies were discussed for the four decades.

Don't tell anybody, but I didn't get "Knife" then, and I tried to watch it a few years ago and -- still didn't.

What I got out of it was the captain trying to show off his success (and his wife) to the kid. I'm sure there was a "party theme" there since this was the Cold War era. I think the Polish government paid for the movie.

Bizarre movie for sure. Jolanta Umecka (sp) was stunning.

Funny when they showed the boat heeling and jibing it looked like there was no wind on the water.