KIWI Prop Customer

wurzner

Member III
I just ordered a new Kiwi 3 bladed featherer for my boat. Without wanting to start prop wars reminicent of the diesel/A4 wars, I elected not to querry the list. It cost 1300 delivered including an expedite fee to have it here in 5 days, so I'm looking forward to it with my new M35 engine. I am also having a new oil cooler for the transmission and an external oil filter installed. I like the idea of cooling the tranny and also of being able to fill the oil filter partially prior to installing it.

Does anyone on the list have a Kiwi and if so, what do you think of it? It was tough decision between the 2 bladed flex of fold and the 3 bladed Kiwi. Given the better stopping power of the 3 blade AND the ability to adjust the pitch easily, I had to go with the Kiwi. A 2 bladed flex o fold was about $950.

I'll let you folks know what I think in a few weeks.

regards
shaun

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Shaun,

I installed one in April. Installation was easy. We have an M25XP. I'm pretty happy with it. According to my mechanic it was about 300 rpm over pitched so I just got around to adjusting it last weekend. In the murky Chesapeake, it was useful to use a T-handle allen wrench with one of those Flourescent handles.

Because it is articulated, expect to dive the prop periodically to inspect and clean the growths off the moving parts so it works smoothly.

Caveat: Pay close attention to the high and unadjustable pitch in reverse. If you don't like it you have 30 days to return it. We only get 1500 in reverse versus 2900 forward. I was able to do an emergency stop in a few boat lengths so I am happy with it. The downside for reverse is if you are used to full power to set an anchor. We've been setting anchor at 1500 rpm instead of the 2500 we did with the Michigan sail prop with good results.

Last edited:

boatboy

Inactive Member
Kiwi prop

We have had a Kiwi prop on our 39B for a little over two years now. Overall we are quite pleased. I had to do an initial readjustment of the pitch, but it was very easy. Four or five lungfuls of air was all it took. No further adjustments have been needed since.

I have found that you need to have the engine going a bit faster than it's natural idle to get it to properly go into reverse. As mentioned earlier, once you are in reverse, it's geared quite high - but that's not so bad, you really move out of the slip!

As you have found, the cost of the prop is a heck of a deal. I can't imagine any two bladed prop coming close to it's performance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Kiwi experiences?

Any of you Kiwi Prop customers wish to comment on another year of experience with this prop?
We are hearing that we can substantially reduce vibration by going from the present two blade featherer to a three blade.
The Kiwi would be a lot easier on our budget...
Thanks.
Loren

boatboy

Inactive Member
Kiwiprop

Kiwiprop still gets a thumbs up from us. No problems. I think it's clearly the best deal around in a feathering prop. Very easy to adjust pitch if you need to.

wurzner

Member III
I hauled out once since I put it on and found it to be in perfect shape with the exception of some metal shards that were embedded in one of the blades from slicing through what must of been a crab pot at night. I was surprised at how strong the composite blades were. Aside from that, the performance has been excellent with not regrets except perhaps wishing I would have purchased it earlier. Backing up on my 38 is fantastic and depending on where I'm at, I often elect to back in if it facilitates getting out the next day.

Thumbs up form my perspective.

Shaun Wurzner
S/V Sorcerer
Ericson 38-200