kenyon mast wire channel

gross

Greg Ross
I have a '85 32-3 with the Kenyon mast with the wiring channel behind the removable 3-piece sail track. I'm replacing the combo steaming and foredeck light and two of the 3 corroded wires broke just inside the mast from a PO job that used crimped connectors. I have some slack at the bottom where it enters the cabin but can't pull any up through the mast (that's how the wire broke). I'd like to remove the sail track to expose the wire channel. My mast is up and wondering if anybody has removed that sail track with the mast up before. I saw a couple of posts of owners sliding the track out but they didn't say if they pulled it out the top, with the mast still up. One post said he pulled it out the bottom but obviously that is with the mast down. The Rig-Rite site describes the Kenyon channel as providing "easy access to all electrical wires". Trying to determine if that means with the mast up as well.

Thanks,
Greg
32-3 #623
"Coconut"

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Kenyon Mast Channel

Greg:

In the spring of 2010 I totally rewired my Kenyon mast on my 35-3.

I would bet that it is the same mast that is on your boat.

Without a "Magic Wand" there is no way to take the track off with the mast stepped. It must slide out at the base......

Unless of course you climb to the top of the mast and can pull the crane with all rigging attached.......(Just a BAD joke!)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings....

Regards

Mort

gross

Greg Ross
Thanks Mort. That helps a great deal. It's not the answer I was hoping for but keeps me from trying to figure out how to remove it without pulling the mast. I'll just have figure out some other way to temporarily rewire the light. BTW, do you remember if there was any reason the wiring for the forward light (right at about the first spreader) wouldn't be able to be pulled out a few inches (after pushing in some of the slack into the mast from the below entry point). I have at least a foot of slack that I can push into the mast from below, but it won't pull out up above.

Thanks,
Greg

Mort Fligelman

Member III
More bad tidings

Gregg:

If memory serves me correctly.....there is a lot of wire in that channel.....

I have the Masthead(Anchor Lite), Bow Light, Deck Light, and the cable for my instruments......if I remember correctly it took quite a bit of squeeze and push to get the track over the wires without breaking or shorting them.......the channel is just not that deep.....If you have less wiring than that on yours, then it becomes a matter of how the wires were installed.....also.....the fact that you can push wires into the mast means nothing, as you are not pushing into the channel, but only that portion coming out of the channel into the mast....... wish I had photoed the situation....further down the road I will remember nothing.

I am one who likes to say "Never say DIE"......but here I think you have a truly lost cause.....

Regards

Mort

dwigle

Member III
For what it's worth, I replaced my VHF antenna wire and added a wire for a tri-color without removing the cover without too much difficulty. The mast was out, so it was a little easier to work with, but I really didn't want to drill all those rivets. If you can attach a line to what's left of the existing wires, you might be able to pull those wires, leave the line and then pull new wires in their place. My 38 is an 80 and I don't know what changes were made in the mast over those 5 years, but it might be worth a try.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8
Point Richmond, CA

Mort Fligelman

Member III
No Wiggle room here!

Sorry Don:

You must have a different mast.....no way could you "Pull" wires through mine....even with the mast down...

Sorry

gross

Greg Ross
Thanks all. I'll probably try Don's suggestion, and if I can't pull new wire thru I'll pull a new wire thru the mast and do it right thru the channel when I have the mast out in a couple years.

C Masone

Perfect Storm
I repainted and rewired the mast on my 32-3 last year. First there is no way to slide the track out without the mast down, and I doubt you will be able to pull wires. a couple of sharp turns and there a bunch of wires in there.

I don't know how much time you spend steaming at night, but it doesn't seem like such an essential light to go through so much trouble. You can jury rig a lamp till you get the mast down.

Walter Pearson

Member III
Just a reminder to those with small spaces for mast wiring or for those wanting to reduce the weight up there. Diodes can be used to operate the tri-color and anchor lights with just one pair of wires. A DPDT switch then does the selection. The trade-off is that slight voltage drop going across the diodes.