Keel bolt torque

Lawdog

Member III
Does anyone know the torque values for the keel bolts for a 1983 Ericson 38 with deep keel? I just had the keel bolts redone by Marskeel/Marsmetal, in Toronto. It took them about 3 weeks and the job came out excellent and under $4K US. They also faired the keel. The Keel on my 38 had never been removed or checked by PO. I have tightened the bolts in the past. However, over the last few years, I have noticed that there was always about 3 to 4 inches of water in the bilge after about 5 days, more when I sailed in heavy seas and wind, and I would find 5 to 6 inches (deep) in the bilge after sailing all day. I have a bunch of pictures which I will post after I download to my hard drive.
Neal

Lawdog

Member III
Here are pictures after and before

Attachments

• ECBDBFAA-C944-421D-B441-9DD049FBDCDA.jpg
    ECBDBFAA-C944-421D-B441-9DD049FBDCDA.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 5CB8E573-719A-4F33-A2E4-786F60412C8F.jpg
    5CB8E573-719A-4F33-A2E4-786F60412C8F.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 43
L

Leslie Newman

Would love to know what they did exactly. Any pictures of the work?

Thaddeus

Member II
Is there a rule of thumb when this keel preventive maintenance work should be done? What size socket do I need to tighten the bolts? This will help me from taking two trips before I have the right one. Also , I noticed that my bolts had or have a large black rubber washer that has mostly has disintegrated. Is this cause for alarm?
Thanks,
Tom
87 E34-2

CSMcKillip

Just went thru this on my 33RH. I think the bolts and nut size variy by boat but I can tell you 1-1/8” is the socket size for my boat. I ended up having to get a special socket with a greater depth 6” to be exact due to the ones at sears and all other part stores were way too short for one of my bolts that extend 3-1/2” past the nut...

after much reading and somewhat of a personal debate debate with myself I chose 3m 5200. Next year I am dropping the full keel and next year I will seal everything with 3m4200 as a sealant, not 5200 as an attachment adheasive.... live and learn.

i torqued to 175lbs and have read some going to 225.

RHenegar

Member I
A few years back I had to do some work on my E32 keel bolt. Somewhere I got 350 lbft of torque on my boat. Surprised the Markeel couldnt tell you.