Katadyn Watermaker - New, open box $3,500

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
what made you decide on a different model?
Sure Shot has 70 gallons of freshwater tanks, so it wasn't for me. The first delivery captain I was courting (who subsequently flaked out on me) wanted to bring 2 crew with him, and wanted a watermaker, so I purchased this one.

I did not have any watermaker on my boat.

I've sold it to someone in Italy, being transshipped through Miami.

p.gazibara

Member III
I'm a bit shocked these are going for so much still, seems like for a bit more $ you can get a spectra and make twice the water for the same energy consumption. The units are very robust thought. We picked one up second hand and ran it just about every other day for 3 years without haveing to do any service beside swap the pre-filters.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm a bit shocked these are going for so much still, seems like for a bit more $ you can get a spectra and make twice the water for the same energy consumption. The units are very robust thought. We picked one up second hand and ran it just about every other day for 3 years without haveing to do any service beside swap the pre-filters.
Here is a price list for comparison:

The power survivor is designed to be able to operate manually in a pinch (or lightning strike).

Buying a military-surplus manual unit on eBay seems to be the most affordable emergency option.

p.gazibara

Member III
Here is a price list for comparison:

The power survivor is designed to be able to operate manually in a pinch (or lightning strike).

Buying a military-surplus manual unit on eBay seems to be the most affordable emergency option.
Good luck trying to operate that manually. I imagine you will further dehydrate yourself with all the pumping. I have the manual kit and would hate to have to use it .