Just bought an Ericson 27 - New sailor/boat owner alert!

Turns out I do have a holding tank in the head. I had my friend who is a very experienced sailor come aboard and check out some of it today. He thinks it's a fine vessel and told me (as others have) to relax and enjoy the boat. I think we are going to take it out for a bit this weekend and then I am going to schedule the haul out next week.
I will post more as it comes along!

Emerald

A few thoughts. Yes, always keep the head water inlet closed when not in use, but the stuff that appeared in the bowl could have come from the discharge side if the joker valve (no joke) in the head is faulty. There is usually a glug or two of "stuff" left in the discharge line that want's to back flow that this valve keeps out.

Regarding the old seacocks that don't seem to work. Leave them alone until on the hard! I would highly recommend replacing the through hulls at the same time as installing the proper seacocks. Some years ago on one of my prior boats ('66 Columbia 24), I had the through hull snap off below the gate valve while messing with the drain hose! Luckily, it was the night before launch, not he morning after.... :rolleyes:

Finally, enjoy your new boat! I loved my prior E-27, and consider them a real gem.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Congratulations on your E27! We are finally sailing ours alot and loving it. What a great boat! Very forgiving of our mistakes. I'm sure you'll love sailing her too.

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
1. Sink valve: that is definitely an old gate valve. The reason it keeps spinning is that the guts inside have corroded (usually not the handle being loose), they're not made for seawater (salt). Replace it with a Marelon valve when you haul out. You can learn about how these things work by checking out a website called How Things Work.

2. Haulout: You would be well advised to go to KKMI. They do very good work and are very trustworthy. For the new owner of a Good Old Boat, it's probably the BEST place for YOU to go in the Bay Area (Svendson's is another, but way further a trip for you). You can use Berkeley once you get more familair with your boat and know how to do things yourself. Don Casey's This Old Boat is a very good book for you at this stage (see if you can find the older first edition, it's just as good for your purposes).

3. Gasoline smell: could be the previous owner stored a can of gas under there. Not a bright idea.. Just clean it up. Pure Ayre is good for cleaning those odors (www.pureayre.com)

Print out this discussion and take it with you to them and they'll know what to look for. Good advice so far.

Welcome and congratulations on your new boat. We've been up to Petaluma a few times and have stayed in your very nice marina. Enjoy, the river is a lovely place to explore.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I am really soaking all the info in... Went out today and did some cleaning. It's tough going but I think it will be great once its done. I will be sure to post pictures of the haul out and progress.
Tomorrow is the trial cruise... Wish me luck!

FYI Maiden Voyage went great! Motor was awesome. Everything was dry as a bone and the sails are in good shape!
Now to start having fun!

One more bit of funny info...
3rd trip out I ran aground... The Petaluma river is very unforgiving when the wind kicks in from the rear...
Luckily it was in soft mud and a passing ski boat pulled us out in a jiffy.
Lesson learned...

Glyn Judson

Stuck in the mud.

Years ago a friend flew back to Beaufort NC to help a mutual friend deliver his E29 to, you got it, Beaufort SC. The route was along the intra costal waterway, a passage neither had done before. Stories of shifting sand bars and the Army Corps of Engineers constantly moving buoys had them on high alert. I should mention here that this was in the middle of the hot summer down there with the commensurate number of bugs and maskeeters. So off they went happy as clowns, looking forward to this great adventure and fearing the worst. Sure enough it happened, they went aground and their hearts stopped. It was then that my friend Doug asked the owner how much water his boat drew. I think he answered about 4.5 feet at which point Doug was over the side before his friend could finish the sentence. Doug had a refreshing plunge into the chest-deep water and casually walked over the sand bar to the bow. A gentle shove and they were free. He climbed aboard and from then on, they almost had to come to blows to see who would win the battle go over the side as they hit numerous other sand bars throughout the course of their journey. Enjoy, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, cA

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Funny Glyn!

Is there a Beaufort in both NC & one in SC? Which one is the wind scale named after?......Whichever is windier, I guess.