Jib Sheet Chafe Protection ???

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
What do you use to protect jib sheets from chafing on the shrouds while the boat is at rest? Underway, on our boat they pretty much stay clear of the shrouds. Our current plan is to secure the furled jib by tensioning the sheets against the locked furler. When the rigger put in our new standing rigging he ditched the plastic tubes that came with the boat. The rig is up though I could detach each spreader to slip something on. I think we could get by with protection on just the main shroud.

My half-axxed solution after we got new sheets last fall:
chafe-jib-sheet-e35-3-jpg.46747

PVC pipe, slit and secured?
Dyneema sleeves sewn to the sheets? Would those be in the way on the winch?
Commercial velcro sleeves put on the lines only while at mooring/anchor?
Remove the sheets and secure the jib with sail ties?
???

Pros and Cons?

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• chafe jib sheet E35-3.jpg
    chafe jib sheet E35-3.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 125

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
I've used a short length of light line to tie them loosely to the lifeline so that they are suspended between the lifeline and the turnbuckle. This is a good solution but I did not do it reliably. Granted, that is a personal problem with many solutions.

I've slackened the sheets so they rest on the deck at the turnbuckle. This is not as good a solution because the sheets collect dirt where they rest on the deck, but it is more reliable for me. Part of the reason this method is more reliable for me is because I like to slacken the sheets to minimize them as a tripping hazard when we are on the boat.

jtsai

Member III
I route the jib sheets over the shroud ensign/flag cleats. The position elevates jib sheets 6' over the deck to allow easier access to the foredeck, getting on/off the boat, and far away from snagging points aft to the cockpit. Just don't tension the segment from fuller to the cleat too tight or seabirds will rest there and poop on your deck.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We also use the plastic shroud covers and they work well. However, I have learned to remove them once a year to wash away the slight green algae that grows inside the sleeve over our damp PNW winters. I also try to rinse salt water off the shrouds, turnbuckles and deck after each sail, especially if it's been a challenging sail with water over the bow. It's amazing how corrosive our marine environment is if one doesn't stay on top of it.
Frank

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I coil and hang off the bow pulpit when I’m away from the boat after locking off the furling drum with a shackle. If I’m expecting it to blow enough overnight to be a concern when on board I’ll generally run them through the rail blocks rather than the inboard track and tension them. Seems less chafe prone against the lifelines than tight against the shrouds.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
What do you use to protect jib sheets from chafing on the shrouds while the boat is at rest?

When Makana is at rest, I clip the halyards to lower lifelines just forward of the first stanchion... and I stick the jibsheet into the shapshackle when I do. It keeps the halyards from banging on the mast, and it secures the jibsheets off the deck but still low and on the outside of the side-deck so I it's easier to step over them every time I go to the bow.

$.02
Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I keep a short scrap of line on the dorade guard and use it to draw together the taut sheets forward of the mast.

This keeps the sheets from gouging out my eyes or rubbing off my ears while walking forward, although of course it cannot undo previous such damage.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I clip my spinnaker halyard to the pair of jib sheets and pull them up to about horizontal with the halyard - this pulls them up higher on the shrouds, and let’s them rest a little less tightly against the shrouds - and keeps them completely off the side decks so they stay cleaner.

TKBLACK

Member II
We also use the plastic shroud covers and they work well. However, I have learned to remove them once a year to wash away the slight green algae that grows inside the sleeve over our damp PNW winters. I also try to rinse salt water off the shrouds, turnbuckles and deck after each sail, especially if it's been a challenging sail with water over the bow. It's amazing how corrosive our marine environment is if one doesn't stay on top of it.
Frank
Ditto for us. Easy to lift the plastic to clean. Salt away product used all over the deck in grooves where things collect.
another tip we saw in BC was placing plastic containers on the deck under lines going to cockpit - to keep them up off of the decking. Works really well!
karin & tom