Jessica Watson crosses the finish line!

Sven

Seglare
She's a better sailor than I, but Jesse Martin's record is still officially and unofficially intact.

I've been telling Abby to time it right (Cape Horn rounding) and restart the record attempt from Capetown. She has to finish back at Capetown before she's 18 years and xx days old and the record is hers.

-Sven

Spirit Moon

Member II
I think what is inspiring and important about this outstanding achievment is that she did it in a production boat, not much different than our designs. Sure they did some modifications but at the end of the day this is the same hull, deck and rig. This is certainly no custom one design purpose built for the task and nothing else. What's more is she and her supporters did this without the usual array of deep pocket yacht clubs. Not that there is anything wrong with that. The difference of respect for this achievement by the locals in that part of the hemisphere is based on a true recognition of the courage and perseverance and ingenutity (ie, her jury rigged fuel pump, simply amazing) it took to make this happen. This whole effort is about much more than a silver plate, pennant or bragging rights. I've read online about the "official record" controversy. Her achievment simply goes to prove the utter irrelevance of these self appointed record keeping bodies. An outstanding acheivement that is properly appreciated by her countrymen.
Frank

Sven

Seglare
I think what is inspiring and important about this outstanding achievment is that she did it in a production boat, not much different than our designs. Sure they did some modifications but at the end of the day this is the same hull, deck and rig. This is certainly no custom one design purpose built for the task and nothing else.

So did the current record holder, except considerably more so.

-Sven