ISO trailer for a E29

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If you can find a flatbed trailer of proper load rating I can give you a bunk measurement and setup that will work for an E29. My trailer is a float on that is very simple to load and unload the boat.

Attachments

• PA280373.jpg
    PA280373.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 69
  • PA280374.jpg
    PA280374.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 68

ubxf

1971E29
Hi Randy,
Nice pictures , i'd love to hear any info you can share. So the idea is to get a double or triple axle flatbed and weld the sides. What rating do you recomend for the flatbed ?
Thanks
francois

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strength? Hmmm... I have seen a weight of about 9K stated for an E-29.
There must be a lot of late-model triple-axle trailers on the market that will hold that much weight and more.

Tires have to be rated for the weight and you would need brakes as well.

While wandering around in the Craigslist ads each week I see trailers similar to that spec fairly commonly listed. Usually they were meant for powerboats, and so you'd get into adding some supports for your hull similar to the one I ran across that someone had converted.

Since a purpose-built sailboat trailer would be easiest, it seems like you might want to contact boat brokerages and yards in your area, and perhaps run a "wanted" ad in Craigs....

Just be careful of trailers that have been submerged in salt water and are rusted out from inside the rails.

Best,
Loren

ubxf

1971E29
Thanks,
i was just looking at it when you posted : ) it looks good but i wonder
if i need 3 axles instead of 2

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks,

I know a guy that has hauled sailboats all 'round the NW in your weight class. He always sez that the axle weight rating and load rating per tire are key things.
I have never trailered anything bigger than 3100# of sailboat so I am not much of an authority...
LB

sleather

Sustaining Member
Thanks,

Depends on the axles used and the tires like Loren mentioned. Here's an example of what's available in axles. Look for number of lug nuts for some indication, although that can vary too.

http://www.trailerpart.com/

Last edited:

RKCRWLR

Member II
If you mod your own...

Here is my trailer ( for an E26) for ideas on how to perhaps mod a regular trailer... Its a 10K by LoadMaster. Uses bunks rather than pads. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works...

Attachments

• E26 Trailer 014.jpg
    E26 Trailer 014.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 44
  • E26 Trailer 007.jpg
    E26 Trailer 007.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 46
  • E26 Trailer 011.jpg
    E26 Trailer 011.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 56

davisr

Member III
Francois

Road King trailer company makes what they call the "Trail-n-Sail" style trailer, which is designed specifically for sailboats. I own a double-axle version for my E25. They do, though, make a triple axle version that would probably be able to handle your boat, if you used the largest tires available.

As Loren suggested, you must be cautious of used trailers that have been in salt water. In my experience, good used trailers are hard to come by. I tried this route. I also spoke with a local trailer shop about modifying a non-sailboat trailer to accomodate a sailboat. The estimate I received was not much less than a new trailer. I therefore opted for a new one. As of this spring the trailer will have paid for itself in terms of the slip-fees I've saved, so I'm glad I took this path.

If you opt for Road King, make sure you ask for quotes from two or three different dealers. I saved a lot of money by shopping around.

Roscoe