Is your propane tank off?

peaman

Sustaining Member
I would be very interested in any follow-up on this incident, especially in the findings of the investigation. Propane is not to be messed with.

David Grimm

E38-200
I'm curious as to weather he was using propane to heat the boat. Seems crazy to be on the boat and have that much accumulate without noticing it.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Obviously wasn’t using any sort of propane detection / auto shut-off system. Lucky to still be alive.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Years ago I was gas welding and couldn't see it with the mask but felt heat on my fore arm. Turned my head to look and saw flame coming from the acetylene hose several inches from the end. The hoses were ancient.

I pulled the propane tank and regulator in the Ericson because the hoses were so cracked and age rotted. The length of the hoses absolutely should be checked every year!

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Very much agree Christian.

The problem with our boats is that the majority of the hoses are in concealed spaces such as the aft lockers.

David Grimm

E38-200
The smell of propane can be mistaken for a mouse that is dead somewhere. Had this happen at my old house. Turned out to be the copper propane line to the stove. Electronic detection device is key.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Recalling some information seen in a UK sailing magazine about propane systems, I did a quick search and found this article:

I do not know, offhand, how the ABYC or our insurers view this, but based on only personal observation would guess that very few boaters in the US regularly/ever (!) replace their hose runs or regulators. Perhaps, very few, on a planned 'preventative maintenance' basis.
Heck, I'd betcha a dime that the heating/cooking system I installed in our prior boat in the 80's is still in place, four owners later. :(

(Just another reason we love our Origo range.)

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This is how I found the leak in my system. We were out on anchor for a quick overnight. I smelled the propane and told my wife to stop cooking. We disconnected the tank, opened every port possible, and tried the best we could to air out the cabin. It was very faint, but I didn't want to mess around with it.

Once I had everything torn apart, we noticed multiple cracks in the main supply line. We also found quite a bit of junk behind the steel oven box including rotting juice box I don't think has been made for over 20 years and a package of cheese and crackers that was probably from around the same time. At the end of the day, I'm not sure if I was smelling the rotting food or the propane tank. Either way, we ended up with a new propane system complete with a sniffer. We all feel much safer now, both from the improvements in the propane system, and removing the rotting food.

RedDog

Member II
This is how I found the leak in my system. We were out on anchor for a quick overnight. I smelled the propane and told my wife to stop cooking. We disconnected the tank, opened every port possible, and tried the best we could to air out the cabin. It was very faint, but I didn't want to mess around with it.

Once I had everything torn apart, we noticed multiple cracks in the main supply line. We also found quite a bit of junk behind the steel oven box including rotting juice box I don't think has been made for over 20 years and a package of cheese and crackers that was probably from around the same time. At the end of the day, I'm not sure if I was smelling the rotting food or the propane tank. Either way, we ended up with a new propane system complete with a sniffer. We all feel much safer now, both from the improvements in the propane system, and removing the rotting food.
My E35 Mk2 has the propane tank under the settee right next to the stove. What tank fits there?

Attachments

• IMG_6844.jpeg
    IMG_6844.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 9

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My E35 Mk2 has the propane tank under the settee right next to the stove. What tank fits there?
Wow! :confused:
If the propane tank is really mounted inside the boat like the picture seems to show, it is equal parts violently unsafe and the whole boat is uninsurable. I hope I am misunderstanding the reply.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Immediate action required.

Some alternatives:

I moved this thread from the Raftup Forum to Maintenance and Mechanical Forum as the topic evolved beyond casual.

RedDog

Member II
Wow! :confused:
If the propane tank is really mounted inside the boat like the picture seems to show, it is equal parts violently unsafe and the whole boat is uninsurable. I hope I am misunderstanding the reply.
I’m new to this boat but I know that inside propane is bad. It looks like this was original because of the fiberglass there.
I should run a new hose to the lazarette and put a tank there. That’s your recommendation right?

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
It has to be in a place that if it does leak it goes overboard. If you don't have a ready made compartment, and don't want to build one, then hanging it from the stern railing is is an option. Though inelegant it could keep you from an unintentional mast head view of your vessel.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This needs to be done the "right" way. Sealed tank compartment with inside shutoff by the regulator. That compartment drains thru a small hose to a point always above the static waterline. Continuous gas-rated hose to the appliance, and if more than one appliance no T fitting inside the boat. Sniffer installed in a low point inside the living area. Among many sites and video's, here is one that looks pretty good: https://www.boatus.com/app/views/20...ust be above,cylinders and no other equipment.
An accredited surveyor can go over the details and will have up-to-date info for you. I did a "full Monty" propane install with a cooker and also a bulkhead heater on our prior boat. It was an involved project, and we are relieved to have an Origo range on our Olson, with no explosion potential. We do have some small LPG bottles for our grill, but they are in a vented compartment that is isolated from the interior of the hull.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I should run a new hose to the lazarette and put a tank there. That’s your recommendation right?
Propane is heavier than air, so the concern is that any leak will flow downhill and wait there to explode. So "in the lazarette" isn't really any good. It needs to be enclosed is a gasketed exclosure which has a gravity drain overboard, and which, if opened and allowed to overflow, will not do so into the interior of the boat. There are prefabricated propane lockers available, most of which are intended for deck mounting, and none of which should be installed within the cabin. A tank can be exposed, but a proper enclosure will also conceal and protect the required solenoid valve and pressure regulator, neither of which should be installed inside the boat unless in a propane-appropriate gasketed and drained enclosure. If your boat doesn't have an original purpose-built propane locker, as many do, then you might want to consider an alcohol stove or other options.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I though this idea, from Post #15 above, was clever.

Modified West Marine fender holders, 11lb fiberglass bottles, and home sewn Sunbrella covers. We plan to use some lines with the centers removed to cover the exposed hoses.

propanesytemcrhistmas2011 004.jpg