inverter problems

archangel

Archangel
:can you or should you wire your inverter so that when motoring it is in the same battery bank that your recharging while under power

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
I'm curious how the battery destroyed the inverter ?

Right now we just have a small (300 W) inverter and it shuts down if the voltage is too low.

-Sven

archangel

Archangel
I'm curious how the battery destroyed the inverter ?

Right now we just have a small (300 W) inverter and it shuts down if the voltage is too low.

sven

-Sven[/QUOTEi I THINK ITS RELATED TO THE BATTERY BEING SHORTED BUT AM NOT SURE . DO YOU SEPERATE YOUR MOTERING BATTERIES FROM YOUR NON MOTORING BATTERIES

Monty Beed

Member I
Inverter

You can safely run your small inverter off your starting battery with the engine running. If you have a seperate isolated house bank it would be better to run off the house bank. If you have a house bank I recomend installing an automatic charge relay to your system in addition to your normal battery switch. This will prevent the accidental disharge of the starting battery and will automatically charge both the starting and house batteries when the engine is running. In an emergency you can combine both banks with your battery switch. If you only have one battery, you must use the inverter very lighly. With the engine running at a high enough RPM you can run the inverter until you run out gas. It depends on your alternator and engine specifics. I take it you are running a laptop? If so there is a more efficient way to go. If you have any more questions fell free to ask. Thanks

archangel

Archangel
thanks for the reply monty , currently we have agm batteries two for #1 two for #2 with a batery selector switch. i am pretty sure we overheated the #2 bank last year while motoring because our regulator was only monitering #1 , thus destroying the#2 bank which was selected by accident when we were motoring. i have talked to the regulator manufacturer and i think that by moving the reg. sensing wire to the common side of the selector switch i will be prevented from this mistake in the future. please give me more info on this charge relay and where to get it . i like the idea of charging all batteries while motoring. also why would my 1000 watt inverter be destroyed because of defective batteries. any and all replies by members would be greatly appriciated.

You can safely run your small inverter off your starting battery with the engine running. If you have a seperate isolated house bank it would be better to run off the house bank. If you have a house bank I recomend installing an automatic charge relay to your system in addition to your normal battery switch. This will prevent the accidental disharge of the starting battery and will automatically charge both the starting and house batteries when the engine is running. In an emergency you can combine both banks with your battery switch. If you only have one battery, you must use the inverter very lighly. With the engine running at a high enough RPM you can run the inverter until you run out gas. It depends on your alternator and engine specifics. I take it you are running a laptop? If so there is a more efficient way to go. If you have any more questions fell free to ask. Thanks

Monty Beed

Member I
Inverter issues

The automatic charge relay is made by Blue Sea Systems part number 7610. This will automatically take care of charging your house bank while isolating your starting bank from being discharged by house loads. The inverter most likely was destroyed by high input voltage as an overcurrent situation should have tripped or blown the inverters overcurrent protection. Hope this helps.

Monty

Last edited:

archangel

Archangel
The automatic charge relay is made by Blue Sea Systems part number 7610. This will automatically take care of charging your house bank while isolating your starting bank from being discharged by house loads. The inverter most likely was destroyed by high input voltage as an overcurrent situation should have tripped or blown the inverters overcurrent protection. Hope this helps.

Monty
thanks for the reply monty, i am going to check the inverter one more time before i condenm it .i hope the blue sea 150 amp fuse blown. ran out of the boat like a dog with its tail between its legs. i metered it but i really didnt want to beleive it wasnt open . i am checking on the blue sea relay, already talked to tek support. thanks mike archangel