Integrated Hydraulic Back Stay and Boom Vang

Dennis Polak

I have a 1985 Ericson race equipped which has a Navtec central hydraulic system. The boat has been in storage with the rigging up. Last fall I noticed the backstay hydraulic cylinder leaking and paid to have it repaired. This spring it is leaking again. I'm not a racer and very seldom use the backstay hydraulic unit. Any suggestion on replacing it or having it repaired by acompany that stands by its work more than 3 months.

Dennis

Dogman33

I have a 1985 Ericson race equipped which has a Navtec central hydraulic system. The boat has been in storage with the rigging up. Last fall I noticed the backstay hydraulic cylinder leaking and paid to have it repaired. This spring it is leaking again. I'm not a racer and very seldom use the backstay hydraulic unit. Any suggestion on replacing it or having it repaired by acompany that stands by its work more than 3 months.

Dennis

If you need your hydraulics serviced, I can help you. I have been in the sailboat hydraulic business since 1978, and it is my specialty. If you need a referral, contact Navtec directly, and ask about me. I am on their website.

I look forward to helping solve your hydraulic problem. Send me an email to discuss, if so inclined.

Sincerely,
Lew Townsend
Seattle, WA

John G

Rebuilding the top seals of a Navtec hydraulic backstay - Model # IA7-10

My Navtec backstay started leaking from the top so I took it to a hydraulic shop in southern New Jersey where I live and they ordered the correct seals for the plunger and top wiper seal. After filling with Mercon III transmission oil, I could not get it to work. I called Navtec and followed directions they have for newere models on bleeding the air but it still does not operate. I guess the $15.00 in seals was not a great deal compared to the $300 that Navtec said "authorized" shops would charge? Comments welcome.

John
S/V Fantasea :0