Insulated backstay compatible with backstay tensioners?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My 1980 E38 has an insulated backstay. I want to keep it for a couple reasons - I may get a ham license someday, or I may install an HF radio for listening to shortwave broadcasts. Are insulators strong enough to use with backstay tensioners? I don't know the brand of insulator off hand.

Why am I concerned? I've been treated to 15-25 knot winds here in Puget Sound the past two outings this month (so nice in summer) and I've noticed the forestay sags pretty badly. Well, pretty badly compared to the boats I crew on for the local races. Also, above the top spreader the mast deflects a little forward in 12+ knot winds. I have roller furling on the jib, too.

I've just had the rig visually inspected and it seems to be in fine shape - it's a 1998 Navtec job, so it's not very old wire. I suppose I could have a rigger consult with me about it, and probably just tighten the backstay and not worry about being able to adjust it. On the other hand, the adjuster could fit in the length below the bottom insulator. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The part manufacturer should be able to give you the rated maximum tension. Something else to consider before adding a hydraulic tensioner is how you will ground the antenna.
Gareth