Instrument Upgrade for Vesper - Part 1

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just posted this video on my YouTube page about upgrading the helm instruments to a Raymarine system, formally Datamarine, including a new Axiom 7 chart plotter. My boat is a E32-3 (1987) with the three aluminum pods at the helm which I'm using to enclose the Raymarine instruments instead of using one large pod, at the helm, for all the instruments.

JSM

Member III
Nice job !! Great idea for the MFD mount. I recently acquired a used B&G Zeus T12 and have been looking for ways to mount it at the helm without spending a fortune on a pod , new binnacle guard etc.
At the end of the day I'm thinking that the 12" MFD may just be too big to mount at the helm and end up blocking my view when sitting.
Did you fabricate the mount yourself or have it done?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Take it to the boat and hold it up in place to see. Was it given to you or did you purchase it? I did the fabrication myself but then I'm the son of a machinist and worked as a draftsman during a former life before I became a commercial photographer where my machining skills also paid off too. I purchased all of the "raw" materials on (where else?) Amazon. As for cutting the aluminum I used my cut off saw with the same blade I use for cutting wood. I was going to buy a metal cutting blade but the knowledgeable guy at Lowes told me I didn't need one if I was cutting aluminum and he was right. Hardest part was drilling into the binnacle guard. I used a Titanium coated drill bit to drill the pilot hole. https://www.amazon.com/RCINDUS-13PC...2&sprefix=titanium+coated+dril,aps,131&sr=8-8

Secret: The drill bit I used in the video took a long time to break though but I used the Titanium bit on the second hole and it went through like butter! The final, large hole, for the 1/4-20 bolt was done with my regular carbide drill bit.

JSM

Member III
Got the Zeus from a friend who was having problems with it and decided to replace it. Turns out it had a bad micro sd card jammed in the slot and needed a software upgrade. Got the card out, did the upgrade and she seems to be working fine now.
Had it on the boat briefly last week. My initial thought was that its just too big for the helm. Looked at installing it at the nav station but it would eat up all of the real estate above my panel and force me to relocate the VHF and stereo.
After seeing what you have done I need to revaluate the situation.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I just took a look at the B&G on-line that you have and that’s a BIG chart plotter! Maybe consider selling it and then buying a smaller version? I didn’t want anything larger then the Axiom 7 at my helm mostly because of what it would take to secure it to the binnacle and I didn’t want something with that “wide screen TV” look at the helm.

JSM

Member III
My thoughts exactly. I had been eying the Axiom untill the Zeus came my way. Which chart package did you get with your 7 ?

peaman

Sustaining Member
I didn’t want anything larger then the Axiom 7 at my helm
Bigger is not always better. I have the Zeus 7 which is perfect for me, after I had originally figured on the 9". I was able to play with a store model at Defender, and was convinced the 7 was all I would need. Very happy with it.