Installing New Jib Halyard

NGB

Member II
I have a 1987 E28 and need to replace my jib halyard, because the rope is shot. I have decided to replace the whole shebang instead of just a new rope spliced to the old wire, since both rope and wire appear to be original equipment. My plan is to tape an appropriate length of 1/8" rope to the old one and pull it through the mast when I remove the old halyard and reverse the process when I install the new halyard. This is my first go at this, and I really don't want to find out the hard way that I overlooked something and have to climb the mast to fix it. I am just curious if there are any factors that I am overlooking and need to plan for.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More than mere tape...

I would advise you to use whipping twine and a big ol' needle to stitch the ends together, and *then* tape over the joint to smooth it. In other words, make a union that you can give a really strong pull on if it hangs up going over a sheave, or if you have to pull really hard the other way in case of a jam.

This method has never failed me. If you depend on sticky tape to hold the ends together, you are betting against common sense.
:rolleyes:

Best,

Loren

Ray Rhode

Member III
Just replaced the halyards on my E35-III. I attached a static line to the shackle and hoisted it to the top. I then cut the wire/rope splice and butt jointed the new wire together with the old using heat shrink tubing. Just to be sure I slipped a couple of nylon wire ties under the tubing before shrinking. This provided some extra grip. You could also tape over the tubing. I then hoisted the new wire up the mast using the static line. I didn't think I could get the rope over the masthead sheeves which are for wire. Worked pretty well. Lost the third one because I ran out of the proper size tubing and used the next larger size. It didn't shrink enough.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E34-III, #189

NGB

Member II
Many thanks. You gave me exactly what I needed -- a couple of factors that I had not considered. I will let you know how things turn out.

NGB

Member II
The removal and replacement was a piece of cake. Loren, I tried your way, because I had all the necessary materials. It worked just as you advertised -- 3 or 4 stitches tying the two and then covered with some sail tape -- and it was so smooth that I thought I must have forgotten something. The whole operation took about 15 minutes, followed by a nice 2 hour sea trial in San Diego Bay. Thanks to both of your for your suggestions.