Installing Indigo Prop

rgoff

Member III
I just received an Indigo 3 blade prop I ordered for my E27 with Atomic 4. The good comments from owners on this forum made me decide to try it. :)

I noticed the instructions recommend using some valve grinding compound when installing it to get a good fit between the hole in the prop and the shaft.

I was planning on probably having my diver install it while my boat was in the water. Obviously using the valve grinding compound would not work in this situation. However, since my boat really needs a bottom paint job, I might be better off hauling and doing both at the same time.

Anybody else just install their Indigo prop while the boat was in the water?

Thanks,

Howard Keiper

I installed mine out of the water but no lapping was required at all.
An observation: my A-4 has the Indigo electronic ignition...has had it for several years now, and I've noticed that with the higher RPM the new prop requires and the much longer dwell that the optical interrupter affords that the coil gets quite hot. Be aware of that.
...But the A purrs like a Lexus.
Howard Keiper

jkenan

Member III
There's no reason you can't install it in the water, and unless there are other reasons to haul your boat, save the money.

Have your diver take some emory cloth with him (perhaps with some duct tape stuck on the back to keep it all together), and 'sand' all around the shaft where the propeller will fit. Same effect as the valve grinding compound. What you're really trying to achieve is getting any corrosion, barnacles, dings in the shaft, and other interference removed so the prop has a snug fit.

Great prop. Good luck.

C. Trembanis

Member III
Would you post the improvements this Indigo prop made over the original replaced prop. In particular. Cavitation at what rpm. Any wear on cutlas bearing due to increased rpm. Steering to port as is common with the E-27 powered by Atomic 4 engine. Other benifits you have noticed due to this installation?? thanks

marid22

Turn around time?

Ralph
What was the turn around time on your indigo prop order? I am trying to convince the captain that getting rid of the egg beater with that awful prop walk would be a good thing (not a "challege to his ability"!). Time has grown short for launch though, so am I waiting another season?
Margaret

Dave Hussey

Member III
Indigo with diesel?

My E27 was repowered many years ago, with a Volvo 6B Diesel, which has a cruising rpm of 2200 to 2400 rpm. My existing prop (unknown pitch or diameter) easily cavitates, and the engine races past the redline with no appreciable gain in thrust ...so I think I am under pitched or the diameter is too small...probably the original (12-7 ?) prop. The only info I can find on prop replacements for E27s always references the Atomic, which of course was the iron sail of choice back in the day. Has anybody out there with a diesel re-screwed??? Indigo??
Thanks for any advice any which way :)

Dave Hussey
Blue Wing
E27

jkm

Member III
Let us know how the install goes.

I'm planning to do the same once the water warms up a little.

How long it takes the diver would be helpful. I've got a 5/7 mil suit, but no tanks. Would like to know if it can done with a snorkel-my guess is no. Don't have the lungs I once had but if it can done in 45 seconds intervals I could do it without renting a tank.

Let me know what tools he uses. Would be handy to get my tools together before I dive

Thanks
John

rgoff

Member III
Margaret,

I received the prop in about one week, shipped from East Coast to West by UPS ground. The website had a special message when I ordered that the owner would be on vacation shortly after I ordered it (I think for one week starting April 6). However, I don't see that message now.

He did mention that 37 other E27s have the prop.

BTW, my first U.S. Navy ship was U.S.S. Vega (AF-59). :)

===========
John,

Not sure I'll even be around if it's installed in the water, but I'll pass along any info I have
================

Also will report my results to all. I'm mainly hoping for less stern walk when backing down and less "pull on the tiller" when going fwd.