Installing a raydome with the mast in place

ChrisS

Member III
I'm planning to install a raydome on the mast, and have read that you can run the wire down the mast with zip ties attached to the wire every three feet, which will avoid the cable slapping against the inside of the mast. Has anyone done this with a successful outcome? People tell me it's possible, but I can find anyone who has actually done it--just "that's what you do."

Mast noise=a bad night's sleep!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have also heard of this but never tried it. The problem you will likely have is that you need to send a messenger line down first in order to pull the cables down with all the wire ties on them. Otherwise they will prevent the cables from falling all the way down.

Or you could do what we did in the BVIs a few weeks back. Charter a Benneteau(2005) that creaks so much there is no possible way to hear wires slapping:egrin:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
We used the zip-tie method with success on our old boat, although we had the mast pulled out.

I believe Ericson originally (in the 70's) used sponges in the mast to prevent slap, and if they are still there it will be difficult to run any new wires.

Glyn Judson

Sponges in the mast.

Cory and all, Been there, done that on another boat with the mast down. Solution: I stuck a garden hose in the mast and let it soften the sponges. Everything came out as slick as could be. Glyn

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I replaced the Furuno radar on my mast last season with a new Furuno. I can tell you from experience that there is no way, I repeat, no way, you will do this with the mast up. I did it with the mast down, laying flat and it was difficult with two people. You will never get the cable through the hole at the top or bottom with the zip ties in place. Working through the mast base and up is the only way. The cable must be prepared, the zip ties "installed", then a messenger pulls the cable up to where the radome mounts and through. Then another messenger pulls the bottom of the cable up from the mast base through the hole just beneath the partners where it enters and connects to the boat at the headliner.

In my installation I used large heavy duty zip ties and also foam pipe insulation over the cable. Mast is finally quiet.

RT

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
Thanks for the replies. I am going to drop a messenger line from the top of the mast to see if there are any obstructions that would stop me from running the cable.

I was planning on drilling a 1" hole in the side of the mast, maybe six inches off deck, and then feed the wire up from there. So the wire would go through the deck outside of the mast. This way I can feed the cable with zip ties attached.

If I can't get a messenger line down from the top, off the mast come$!

Glyn Judson

Feeding a messenger line.

Chris, Take a quick trip to your local bike shop and beg a worn out bicycle chain from them. Clean that sucker well, attach it to your messenger line and feed the flexible and heavy chain down from above and retrieve it through that 1" hole using a bent coat hanger. At a loss as to what to use as the line itself? West Marine sells 50 foot skeins of 1/8" Dacron line that is perfect for this application. They used to get them delivered to my store in 50 foot lengths all connected together. The store staff would then cut them into single skeins so if they are still supplied that way and you can get there right after a delivery, you could buy three or four continuous 50 foot lengths if need be. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA