Installed AC today

CSMcKillip

The marine air 12000 btu unit we had on the boat turned on and the compressor got cold but the blower didn't turn on, replacment blower is 270.00 and we just bought a new unit. We purchased a wabasco 16000 btu unit and I picked it up with a new pump this morning. I got to the boat at 10:30, pulled out the old unit, removed pump, had to run into town for a hose barb on the new pump and ran all the plumbing to the new unit. The wiring looked in great shape and I hooked up the main panel to the frig circuit on the panel.

By 12:30 everything was hooked up, I bled the water line and attached the output to the AC. Attached the power back to the dock, and turned the breaker back on, opened the thru hull and flipped it on. The inside of the boat was right under 100, and it took the new unit about 10 min. To bring the cabin to the 78 degree mark.

The unit was super quiet, so quiet I could only hear the air at the grills. I am super happy.

I am looking at a xantrax inverter to power the unit away from dockside. I am still waiting on my bilge pump to install, I am ready for next weekend sitting on a cool boat in our 100 deg days.

I am looking at the old unit to sell soon, I am going to test the blower and see if I can get it working. Keep posted if you are looking to install an AC unit as my old one will be sold cheap.

Did I say I was happy

selous

Inactive Member
Hi Chris,good job,it's great to have the boat nice and cool ! I couldn't help noticing that you intend buying an inverter to run your 16000 btu unit when away from the dock,I'm assuming you have at least 15 - 20 amps of charge to your batteries from solar panels or a wind generator otherwise it will not be possible. The AC unit will deplete your batteries in short order ! An adler Barbour or similar 12v fridge only draws about 5 amps and even that is a challenge to keep up without at least 120 watts of solar or wind.
Of course you could run your engine while you have the ac on but that isn't too good for the engine.Another option is a generator but in that case you wouldn't need an inverter anyway.Check out your options before laying out cash for an inverter imho.

Last edited:

CSMcKillip

Thanks for the Info o the inverter, didnt really think of that. I am off to the loal lowes to see about the 4"insulated duct. I right now have two 6" supply vents that run a total of 4 feet combinded to supply the air to the cabin, I am going to make a plentum and run 5 to 6 vents around the cabin and a small 2" vent to the head. I think this will allow the unit to run more effecently and reduce the noise at the air grill by 1/2.