Insane leak

Howard Keiper

Sea Quest has developed a leak.
She's a 1972 E-35 II.
I discovered that the cushion on the port quarterberth up on the chart table end was soaked after the last rain. Turns out that the cabin light fixture overhead was full to the brim and then some. It took a long time to figure out where the water was coming from, but that's only half the problem since I absolutely cannot figure out how it gets there. It may nave something to do with southerly winds driving into her portside but I don't know. She's normally dry as a bone.
Anybody have an idea??
Howard Keiper

Brookelise

Member II
Leak

Howard: On our previous boat, which wasn't an Ericson, water leaked into a cabin light from the deck because of moisture in the deck's core. The moisture was getting into the deck from fittings that needed re-embedding. After we did that, the leak stopped. You might want to check your deck with a moisture meter. Best regards,
-- Brooke

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Howard, I know our boats are both 35's but there are some differences. We do not have a cabin lite above the port quarter berth. Nor above the nav table. But if we did, I would look high on the cabin deck. Do you have a dorade in the vicinity that has the drain valve shut? We just found a bazaar leak that produced H2o around the starboard small window just aft of the bulk head. Thought it was the Bomar, duck taped plastic over the outside of the Bomar. Still got a lot of H2o. Finnally found the source. Just in front of the mast is a couple more dorade's and a nice rail that goes above the box. The fitting where the rail mounts on the top of the deck looked like it did'nt have much sealant. I did a quick winter fix with some silicone and shoved it under this fitting and voila' no more leak. The water traveled a long way to get to the Bomar. The point is, look for the obvious 1st, then get creative. Good luck, it took me several look see's and a lot of head scratching until a sailing buddy started walking around and said "Look here".

jkm

Member III
Howard

My Penquin is the same year/type as your Sea Quest-do you have any winches on the cabin top?

Maybe the stainless hatch rail?

I can't imagine how water could get in there.

Keep us informed, please

John

admirals barge

Member III
74 35II #325

had 2 leaks by the nav station. one was from the stansion and the other was from the inside sail tack.

happy sailing

greg