info on muffler E34

rhewitt

Member II
After getting parts to rebuild the engine it now seems we need a new MUFFLER too.
Has anyone replaced a OE (heavy cast muffler) one and if so what did they use and how was it done...
This is on a Universal M-25XP in a 1988 E-34...
Come on Guys I need some help here, all I can find is fiberglass new type and they look as if they will not fit and or have the right input/outlet.
Where can I go to get info (web site / email ). need drawings or pictures of how to and such.

thanks to all,

Ralph

Glyn Judson

Muffler replacement.

Ralph, Been there, done that. I replaced that old cast pipe (really 6" pipe with welded ends) with a Vernalift. The original was screwed to a plywood platform glassed to the hull aft of the engine. I ripped it all out to start anew and was horrified at what was under this platform. It was raw plywood smack-dab glued to the boat and all kinds of dirt, stainless hardware and slimy goo was under the rotted underside. I cleaned the area and painted it bilgecoat gray before cutting a piece of 3/4" plywood with chamfered edges to fit the same place with about 1/4" to 1/2" air space beneath it. Then it was off to the garage where it got fully coated with three applications of West System 105 and back to the boat where I glassed it in place and made sure it was level and still had that air space. After the glass cured, I painted the new muffler shelf as well. The Vernalift folks make really cool fiberglass elbows and I used one of these immediately down stream of the muffler outlet in order to properly angle the hose to the exhaust transom flange. I also put three or four sacked Nylon washers under the four screws I attached the muffler to the wood with. That way I can occasionally direct a garden hose back of there to flush dust, dog hair and whatever out and under both the platform and the muffler and keep everything clean as a whistle. Lots of time and money but no more rusty water at engine start up. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA