Info for using Sika 295UV

ron7546

Member II
Hi Fellow Sailors,
Two years ago I built new hatches for my E27 using teak and Acrylic. I used Sika 295UV along with all recommened primers and cleaners ( no mechanical fasteners) They look and perform great. My problem is ! ! I am building another hatch and can`t find the very detailed and comprehensive instructions that I followed. I don`t think they came off the Sika site but if they did Sika has completely revised it`s site and it is not detailed enough.They most definately came off the web somewhere. CAN ANYONE HELP ? ? Guy Stevens had recommended the 295 ,perhaps he`ll have an idea.
Thanks In Advance
Ron
"Bluenote"

PDX

Member III
Here is a link to their product data sheet, dated 2009

http://us01.webdms.sika.com/fileshow.do?documentID=987

Skimming it, it appears to reference other info sources for primer, etc., so there may not be a single instruction sheet that you can use.

How are you going to get the acrylic out if you need to? Will you just build another hatch? It might make sense if you have the resources/expertise. I like the idea of avoiding screws.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
New Sika 295UV instructions for Acrylic or Polycarbonate

Just yesterday I found the info you might be looking for. I'm getting ready to install new acrylic on my sliding hatch and re-bed the larger hatch over the salon, which was done several years ago and needs it again. The website is below. Their website is tricky, since going to the Document download center means you start over. Select Marine to navigate there.

http://usa.sika.com/content/usa/mai...sificationID=-2147483648&orderBy=1&orderDir=1

The document for acrylic is too large to attach. Its title is "Bonding and Sealing of Plastic Windows" and it's no. 4 on the list.

The primers and cleaners have changed somewhat. Note that the Sika Acktivator, Acktivator 205 and Sika-Cleaner 226 are all the same thing. I got the -226, Primer-206G+P and Primer-209D. The frames are aluminum. Have fun. It's a messy job.