Inflatable Which one?

Desiderata

Member II
Hi Everybody,

Were researching an inflatable dinghy to accompany us on weekends on our E-27. So many kinds. We think a 9-10' will suffice. Read some of the banter about hypalon vs PVC here on the site. Looking for opinions about FLOORS. Battens ? or air inflatables? Pros and cons anybody?

Gratefully,

Mike & Cheri McNulty
Sarasota Sailing Squadron:rolleyes:

Captron

Member III
Inflatables

IMHO, bigger is better when it comes to dinghies. I also think that the quality of dinghies generally runs from A to Z. Achilles to Zodiac ... Hypalon will hold up better over the long haul. I have a 1991 10.5' fiberglass bottom Caribe (hypalon) still going strong. (I wish it was a 12')

If you want lightweight and fast set up, get an inflatable floor but make sure it's hypalon not PVC, especially the floor. If you drag your dinghy up on the beach a lot, then a hard bottom is better. The flatter the bottom the easier they are to plane. Mine has a 15hp Yamaha and planes ok but a 6 or 8 hp will plane out a flat floored dink where I doubt a motor that small will plane mine.

If you want to see a PVC inflatable floor dinghy wounded in action check out an article I wrote a few years ago.

http://members.toast.net/captron/dinghy_floor_fix.htm

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Material Matters

Our 1985 Zodiac Hyplon round stern dinghy is not very fast under oars, but still looks like new. Really.
Slat floor, and it rolls up and goes back into the carry bag for storage in the aft cabin...
:cool:

Sometimes it might be more fun with the optional motor mount and a flea-power outboard, but we got it for the quality of material and overall light weight.

Little dinghies are all about compromise: pick the features that you gotta have and the drawbacks that you can live with.
:)

Loren

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I purchased an AB 8AL aluminum floor dingy in June before my annual trek to Desolation Sound and would like to relate my experiences. I really like the deep V hull and the shape of the tubes. With a five Merc. and a tiller extension it planes along at about 13 knots and I never get splashed. Great choppy water performance and teriffic appearance. Well... then it gets a bit sour. On the way home I look back at the dinghy while i'm towing it and notice some of the white coating peeling off the hull. Now- it is three weeks after purchase so I call the dealer and he informs me that the coating is 'cosmetic' and not warranted. Huh? "Yes , read your warranty". So I get home and yank the boat and the paint is soft and peeling with bubbles of fluid under the coating that I can move around with my finger. I make a movie of this and of another AB at the yacht club (same year) that has the same problem, both inside and out and deliver it to the dealer. Over a brief convo, he informs me that some boats from my year had coating problems and AB might, at its' option, repaint the exterior only of my hull. I inform him that the interior is also an issue but he says the outside only. I tell him how unhappy I am and I feel that he should replace my boat or refund my $3,500.00. I emailed him more than two weeks ago and have had no reply as yet.

I know that this is a bit of a rant but the lesson is always read your warranty. Further, I usually try to support smaller businesses, even if it is a bit more $$ on principle. Guess if I had gone to WM I could return it no questions asked!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I just ordered a Mercury Ocean Runner 290 RIB from Defender. It is new but a 2006 model. Mercury boats are built well. It is PVC with a 5 year warranty. I plan on purchasing a cover for it. So for $969.00 I think I got a pretty good deal. They are also running sales on the hypalon models. go to www.defender.com They have great customer service and great prices.

Erich

Member II
Graham's AB experience is interesting. We went thru the dinghy exercise late last year when we decided our Walker Bay 8 was not all that great for rowing our & setting prawn traps. The AB was one of those we considered. We had heard of and even saw examples of the hull paint pealing off. A local dealer, Blaine Marine Services, had said that AB did recognize the problem. Supposedly, they sent the hulls to a third party to get painted. Some of these developed the pealing problems. It was as if they had left them standing around for a couple of days after the etching but before the painting. According to BMS, AB was, for 2007, going to be doing the painting in house or not painting them at all. The one thing that BMS did say was that AB did stand behind their product and had paid for having several boats repainted. Graham must have a dealer that just does not to go through the hastle.
We ended up getting an Aquapro 8' 6" in PVC. The dealer had the same boat but 10 years old in their yard. Other than the white being a dirty, it looked fantastic. The PO had kept it covered but we would have done the same with a hypalon boat. And we saved over $1000 over the hypalon. We do like the Aquapro. It only weights 72 lbs, planes with 1 person and a 5 hp, and has a very handle seat/storage bin. The aluminum hull was very good to have with all of the stern tying and other shore excursions that we did.
Graham, good luck in fighting with your dealer.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Erich, I had always thought the Walker Bay to be a pretty good dinghy, and have been considering it for rowing in the bays and towing (behind our E30+). Therefore, I was surprised at your post that reported not being very happy with it--can you elaborate on what the problem was? I would not be using it for fishing or other activity where more room or stability may be needed--simply would use it for my wife and me to get around in the evening, or if at anchor.
Thanks,
Frank.

Erich

Member II
Frank,
The Walker Bay is an excellent dinghy for many things. It rows beautifully with one person on board (the oars are excellent). It withstands grounding on barnacles well. The wheel in the transom is great for one person moving it around. One great advantage is that the poly that it is made from does not hurt fiberglass, be it bumping against the hull or dragged across the deck. It only weights 76 lbs. and it tows very well even in heavy seas. On the downside, a second person slows the rowing considerably. And 2 people is all that the boat is rated to carry, even with optional tubes. If you have another couple as guests, that entails 3 trips to shore. We didn't feel that comfortable rowing outside the anchorage to explore or play with our shrimp trap when the wind and waves picked up.
It wasn't that I was not very happy with it. It just wasn't quite suited for us. Within an anchorage it is great for 2 people. Maybe if we didn't already have 5 boats (E34, Laser, 2 ocean kayaks, new dinghy), my wife would have let me keep it.
Too many boats, not enough time,
Erich

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Defender is having an October Boat Show Sale.

Last month, they had a shorter sale, but the discounts were about the same depth. I bought a 2007 Mercury 310 airfloor, Hypalon (10'2"). Haven't had it in the water yet, but I'm very impressed playing with it on my patio. isn't that the ultimate test?

I'm shopping for a Yamaha 8hp 2-stroke (for the 60 lb weight) that I'm hoping will bring it to a plane.

My concern is whether I'll be able to inflate and deflate/roll it up on the bow of my 34-footer without puncturing it with lifeline stanchions, etc. I've been thinking about hanging it from a spare halyard for inflation/deflation, and then dropping it in the water. How do others do this?

FullTilt E28

Member III
Interesting read about the AB alum issues

If the AB Hulls are quality grade aluminum the paint is really only there for looks. In fact high grade alum hulls don't even need to be painted and are quite happy that way. Probably why AB doesn't have much interest in dealing with peeling paint. I bet you anything that AB wishes they never painted the hulls or offered that as an option.

I really do think the small light Ribs are the best thing to happen for the small tenders. Granted you cant pack them in a bag and stuff them in a locker but they are pretty slick.

I get to use our new to us old Avon Redcrest for the first time this weekend. It has the goofy snap on outboard bracket - we have a 2hp honda 4stroke for it. Should be an adventure.

Last edited:

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
Don't get me wrong, That little AB is a superb boat but I wasn't offered the option of a bare hull. In our market, It is about $700-$1,000 more than the next comparable boat and I figured -What the heck! It'll last 10 years so I'll stretch the budget. Get this... My dealer hasn't replied to my last 2 emails, the first dating back to Sept. 23. Ab however only took a day to get back to me so I'll see how it goes...

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
AB Aggrivation

Thought I'd update this one... My dinghy is still not fixed. AB didnt follow up on my emails so I called Venezuela (my dime) and spoke to the president, Mr. Ivor Heyer, who promised me a prompt resolution. This was Dec. 12. No response. I have emailed and called again but nothing is happening. Does it have to be this dificult? Kits Marine Boat sales in Vancouver has totally screwed me. I am appalled at how they have ignored my problem. I am thinking of giving the boat a viking funeral! (note the corny e-boat reference! Anyone have any thoughts/advice?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am a big Achilles fan. My 10ft is a 1986! Air keel and wood floor. Works great, doesn't leak and likely has many more years in it. I wouldn't buy anything else.

Graham,
I understand your frustration however is the paint the only problem? I don't worry too much about cosmetic things on my dinghy so I don't really follow the need to get rid of a perfectly serviceable boat? It is pretty difficult to get paint to stick to aluminum for more than a few years anyway. Why not chemical strip the remaining paint and just go with natural aluminum? Just a thought.... RT

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I like Achilles too, but...

Rob - How did you keep the water out of the transom for twenty years? Do you keep it in the water? And how many sets of floor boards?

I got twenty years out of a set of floor boards I made, but they were in two Achilles as the transoms rotted out.

One more should hold me forever. ;)

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
Hey Rob, So far the paint is the only flaw. I spent $3,500 Canadian for this 8 foot boat hoping the price would guarantee it would be the last dinghy I'd buy. Also the 10 year guarantee was a plus. Why should I have to strip the paint? This failed in the 3rd. week of ownership. My dealer brushed me off (Kits Marine) I would have been happy with a natural aluminum exterior but not the inside, and not at this price. Great design, great tubes, terrible Dealer, Crap paint, Uncaring manufacturer. Avoid Kits Marine Vancouver.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Tom,
I haven't owned it for 20 years, its 20 years old! I purchased it from the original owner and he painted the transom with epoxy when new and polyurethaned the wood every year. I leave it in the water for the season. The floorboards were also original however I have made a large 1 piece board to replace the 3 large main floorboards. No more flexible flyer action and I don't roll the dinghy up so it works for me. Regarding the rotten transoms I would think that a yearly application of CPES, etc. would hold the rot at bay.... I will investigate in the spring.

Graham,
I feel bad for you, I really do. Its sucks that the dealer is unresponsive and the manufacturer no help either. You shouldn't HAVE to DO anything.... I was suggesting that the paint all be stripped simply to at least give a uniform appearance. I understand that you may not like this look, particularly on the interior. Different strokes and all that. I'd be pretty unhappy too however quite hard pressed to set fire to a dingy that still floats and doesn't leak. RT

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
Yep... I was just joshing about burning it- gotta try to remain positive here! I would have had no problem with an unpainted boat but that option wasn't offered. Now I have a horrible looking mess at a premium price. I understand Kits Marine Boat Sales blowing me off because I have met numerous other boaters with similar PITA experiences with them, and our club, RVYC, bought 3 11 footers from Kits and they have the same issues. Kits said " you should have put a zinc on them". Well, why didn't the dealer do that on delivery? And those boats are dry stored and the interiors have totally failed. But I cant understand why AB wont protect their brand. I spoke with their president fer *%^%$ sakes! And he is not responding to my communications nor or even following up as he promised. So Yeah- I'm P.o.'d!

dcoyle

Member III
We cruise the coast of Maine with my wife, 2 10 year olds and an 8 year old. Our dink is a 2004 10 foot Avon double hull hard bottom powered with a 2 stroke 5 hp Merc. We love the boat, it is very safe with all of us on board and easily handles chop and small waves, although we sometimes get sprayed on bumpy windy days. The boat tows easily and doesnt seem to slow us down, I leave the motor on the dink while underway. The only draw back is the weight. We can almost carry it without the motor up the beach but we have to take the motor off and it is a big hassle for us. 10 foot tides make the trek up to above high water too long. Also it is too heavy to car top so I bought a small trailer to move it around. So we have about 5k into the setup and I am satisfied with the setup.