Improved Control Cable Run

Martyn

Member II
I looked up my notes on the project, and I used a 17 foot cable for the throttle, and a 14 footer for the clutch, but my notes say that a 13 foot would probably have fit better for the clutch. Teleflex Tfxtreme CC63317 and CC63314.
Hi Steve, I have an E-38 and I'm about to embark on this adventure of changing out the cables. I notice your lengths of 17 and 13 are significantly different in length and wondered why that is, given that they both run to the engine. Are their connection points really 4 feet apart? What makes up the difference in length, if you can recall? I am to hit "order" on the two Teleflex cables but thought I'd double check again.

Thanks of your help!

u079721

Contributing Partner
Hi Steve, I have an E-38 and I'm about to embark on this adventure of changing out the cables. I notice your lengths of 17 and 13 are significantly different in length and wondered why that is, given that they both run to the engine. Are their connection points really 4 feet apart? What makes up the difference in length, if you can recall? I am to hit "order" on the two Teleflex cables but thought I'd double check again.

Thanks of your help!

Sorry, but I no longer have the boat, and after 20 years I can't add any more to my earlier notes. I seem to recall that the attachment points were at opposite ends of engine (tranny at the rear, throttle at the front?), but perhaps someone else with the same engine can take a look?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Long cables aren't bad, and may help to keep the radius wide, or be easier to route away from obstructions. They don't have to be the same length, although generally they are, more or less.

Since changing control cables usually means partial disassembly of the pedestal, this link may help:

peaman

Sustaining Member
Are their connection points really 4 feet apart?
I recently replaced the cables on my M25XP and selected a throttle cable 3 feet longer than the transmission. Before replacement, both cables were much too long, so I had to figure out the best length for the new ones. Get the length that's right for your boat and cable path.