Impellor Problem

Brian K

Member III
I remove my impellor (Universal M-25XP with Oberdorfer water pump) during the months on the hard. This spring I installed a new Globe 815 (blue, run dry impellor). I started the engine before the boat splashed and the impellor seemed to draw water normally. After launch I could not get the impellor to draw raw water through the system. Yes the intake and hose were clear and purged of air. After trying a number of things with no success I replaced the new impellor with the old one, which was actually in very good condition, and it pumped water through just fine. I now have 2 Globe 815 impellors that I'm not sure will work.

Any comments or suggestions on resolving this problem???

One more related question, is there a place I can pick up extra circlips at a reasonable price (Torrensen is $9 each and shipping is probably about the same). It seems like I should be able to find them at a hardware store.

u079721

Contributing Partner
No direct experience with that type of replacement impeller, but I have had some erratic experience before with water pumps that would start and stop pumping. In every case it was solved by loosening and then carefully re-tightening the bolts around the impeller cover, which apparently stopped my air leak.

So as an experiment I would suggest - on a day when you are not in a hurry to go anywhere! - that you try reinstalling one of the new non-functioning impellers at least once. You might find that it was the installation, not the impeller itself.

Or not!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
It could be the cover is worn. I had a similar issue and replaced the cover and that solved the problem. I have read bad things about globe impellers so I use the stock Oberdorfer impellers and change it every spring. The old one goes in the spares drawer.

TRMN8R

Member II
One more related question, is there a place I can pick up extra circlips at a reasonable price (Torrensen is $9 each and shipping is probably about the same). It seems like I should be able to find them at a hardware store.

Saw them in Lowe's yesterday (Monday).............thought to pick up a couple, but didn't have the old one in hand. Just replaced my impellor over the weekend; used Moyer's quick kit, etc. GL!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->