Impellor Circlip Pliers

Brian K

Member III
I'm thinking ahead to spring when will re-install the impeller in my E32-200 with the Universal M25XP and Oberdorfer pump. The points on the circlip pliers I have are a little too big for the holes in the circlip. I did file them down and have used them to remove the circlip, but they do not fit the holes correctly and I know one of these days the circlip is going to go AWOL on me. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can find either just the small diameter tips or a new set of pliers small enough to fit the circlip? THANKS!!

Shadowfax

Member III
I think Harbor Freight or someone like them have them with 3 different interchangeable size tips. If I recall they where inexpensive, I think I paid like $12

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Got it!

I just saw the coupon today; 5 days left. For those of you that can't afford $5.

5.jpg

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Get some extra circlips if one decides to jump ship. They are not even necessary on my Oberdorfer.

Erich

Member II
I've had success in filing a cheap set of tips down and bending them. The biggest problem is putting the circlip back on again. Getting the shaft to come out far enough to get the circlip back on is a real pain. Lots of soap and a little, no much, patience is required. I was thinking what I would do if I needed to do this quickly. Anybody think that drilling a shallow hole in the end of the shaft so that you can use something like a drill bit to pull the shaft out far enough will do any damage? It need not be very large or deep?
An extra circlip is still good - these are not standard type circlips.
Regards

P Abele

Member II
Just a thought, I broke off 2 tips from the pliers I bought for this job but they were craftsman so Sears swapped them no questions asked. The harbor freight tool might be cheap the first time, but not so much if you end up buying the same tool a number of times - never mind what you do when the job is half finished and you are stuck with a broken tool!

dcoyle

Member III
Hold a magnet up near clip while removing and installing. When the clip decides to take off, its flight is intercepted by the magnet.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
multi tasking....

Hold a magnet up near clip while removing and installing. When the clip decides to take off, its flight is intercepted by the magnet.

Just use the permanent magnet installed in the chip door on your current model Garmin chart plotter....
And while you are doing this, your compass will probably start pointing north again, too.
A win-win situation.
:)

Loren